Catching Up on Concerts including (Lake Street Dive, Third Eye Blind, Silversun Pickups, and the Shins)

A few weeks back, I got to finally see one of the best, most honest, politically-truthful hip-hop bands of the late '90s-early-00s, Jurassic 5, only to discover they've actually been kicking around the underground scene for about 25 years now- and that's exactly what they're celebrating by going out on this tour now. I remember working at Bull Moose back in 2000 when we received a copy of their 2nd album "Quality Control" and I used to listen to it regularly. They've had a string of albums afterwards, including "Power in Numbers" which I had on repeat. I never forgot about them, but underground hip-hop was never really something I searched for, so it usually wasn't on my radar.
With their live performance, you get a lot of interaction with the crowd participating in chorus sing-alongs and each song provides each member an opportunity to drop a few lines/bars and their flows never stop. DJ Cut Chemist and his counterpart DJ Nu-Mark were incredible and definitely add to the flavor of the band's performance. At one point Cut Chemist even took center stage and played a guitar-like record player, spinning and cutting the record in an amazing "solo." I am not usually one for rap or hip-hop shows but these guys have been a force to be reckoned with for years and so when I saw they were coming to Boston, I knew I had to jump on the opportunity.

This is what their setlist looked like the day after their Boston show, at Brooklyn Steel (the new venue opened by James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem) in New York:


  1. Play Video
  2. Play Video
  3. Play Video
  4. Play Video
  5. Play Video
  6. Play Video
  7. Play Video
  8. Play Video
  9. Play Video
  10. Play Video
  11. Play Video
  12. Play Video
  13. (Chali 2na song)
    Play Video
  14. Play Video
  15. Play Video
  16. Play Video
  17. Play Video
  18. Play Video
  19. Play Video
  20. Play Video
  21. Play Video
  22. Play Video
  23. Play Video
  24. Encore:
  25. Play Video
  26. Play Video
  27. Play Video
  28. Play Video
  29. Play Video
  30. Play Video
......................................................................
About a week later, I got to see The Shins, right here in Portland, ME. They played at a great "new" outdoor venue called Thompson's Point (which has quickly become one of my favorite outdoor venues for shows. It's large but allows the show to be intimate. It was a rainy and overcast weather night during the whole show. It didn't matter though, I was seeing The Shins, nothing could've distracted me from this fact. I had been waiting years to see them. This was their first time in Portland, ME which is rather surprising. 

A story: Back in 2001, I took a train from Portland, ME to Washington, D.C. during my college spring break, because I'm a history nerd and instead of being a beach bum, I wanted to check out our nation's capital. Anyway, once at Penn Station in New York City, I had been sitting with the seat next to me unoccupied until a young man, probably about my age (at the time) sat next to me. We were both listening to our respectively Discmans (yes, I said Discman, it was 2001!) until we each shared what we were listening to, started chatting about music. Then, he offered up his headphones and said I had to listen to this new band that sort of sounded like The Beatles, acoustically. It was The Shins. The album was "Oh, Inverted World," and I can still remember listening to "Caring is Creepy," "Girl Inform Me" and "This Celibate Life" and really enjoying and appreciating it.  

Then, in 2004, Zach Braff (of "Scrubs" fame) made a little indie film called "Garden State" and included "Caring is Creepy" and "New Slang" in the film, including a scene where Natalie Portman's character (the quintessential manic pixie dream girl creation) introduces the band to Braff's character to The Shins in a hospital waiting room. Those first notes of "New Slang" and the rest is history. That is still to this day one of my favorite movie soundtracks of all time. And the movie is in my Top 5 Oof all time, as well. You know how some things just hit you hard at a specific time in your life? Well, that was "Garden State." 

So, I was extremely excited to see The Shins, finally, and like I said, the rain wasn't going to deter me or ruin it. They came out with a raucous version of "Caring is Creepy" and didn't stop. Their new album is rather heavy on the electronic sound, but I can appreciate a band that has been evolving since day one. 



They also had a really good, indie, electronic/synth-pop band called Tennis open the show for them, which consisted of a husband and wife duo, much like Mates of State but a bit more romantic in sound. Definitely worth checking out. 


.......................................................................................
Last Sunday, I traveled down to Portsmouth, NH for a "free" show (okay, donation of $5 got me in) at a great venue Prescott Park, which is right on the water and overlooks the Naval base, because Lake Street Dive was in town (and they brought the one-man band, The Suitcase Junket with them). I have seen Lake Street Dive, I think, about 4 or 5 times now and each and every time they put on an incredible show. This night was no exceptional. They brought a great setlist with them, including a new song and a couple of a capella songs (a cover of George Michael's "Faith). They are easily one of my favorite "new" bands of the past 3 or 4 years and their live show is absolutely amazing. I will make every effort to see them whenever they come around. I actually missed them a few months back in Portland because I waited on tickets until it was too late and the show sold out rather quickly, or at least quicker than I thought it would, so alas, I missed them, but I think this show made up for it. And it was outside, as the sun was setting and than in the dark of night with only the few stage lights and a cool breeze blowing- an otherwise perfect night for a show. 



The Suitcase Junket, if you haven't read about him on here prior to now- you must check him out-- 


.......................................................................................................

This week, I went to another new venue (for me). This one the Bank of NH Pavilion (which apparently used to be called Meadowbrooks) in Gilford, NH. It was a seemingly long drive, about an hour and 45 minutes, which for the same amount of time, I could have traveled to Boston, but the sightseeing was worth it, as you drive through the mountains of NH and along a beautiful river, all of which sort of reminded me of driving through Washington state years ago on a road trip across the country. Why was I heading to this venue? Third Eye Blind. I had not seen them since 2000 (when they released their second album "Blue" and headlined a radio station jam-packed night at the Civic Center in Portland, which included Dido (recent discovery at the time) and Sister Hazel (one hit wonders) along with 2 or 3 other bands. For this tour, Third Eye Blind has been celebrating their debut album's 20th anniversary by playing it in its entirety, so it seemed like a no-brainer to go see them. The last time I saw them, in 2000, was with my sister, and I have fond memories of my sister and I listening to their debut album repetitively back in 1997. I remember my sister making fun of Stephen Jenkins choice of lyrics in the song "How's it Going to Be" (like "how can a hammock be quiet?!?!" AM I RIGHT?!?!) I remember watching the video for "Semi-Charmed Life" over and over when it was on MTV (you know, back when they played videos) and singing along, even during the sped up bridge part about going down on a girl. Back then, I did not understand or appreciate how sex-obsessed and infused his lyrics were, but now, now I do. Oh Stephen Jenkins, you horn-dog. Their debut album is definitely one of those albums that you listen to all the way through and has so many hit songs on it. The guy knew how to write pop songs, but for me it was all about those last 4 songs on the album, particularly, "Motorcycle Drive-By" and "God of Wine." I can listen to those songs on repeat for awhile, both of which have always found their way onto playlists or mixed tapes/CDs that I've made throughout the years. So, hearing them live was going to be a treat. And they certainly did not disappoint. 

I still cannot believe their first album is now 20 years old!! 1997!?!? Same year that Radiohead's "OK Computer graced our ears and changed my life, for completely different reasons. Another album I have fond memories of listening to repetitively with my sister. So, the idea was to bring my sister to this show, but she couldn't make it, so my go-to concert buddy, Courtney, graciously accepted my invitation. 

Add to the fact that Third Eye Blind was playing their debut album, the band they were bringing along with them was Silversun Pickups. Sold! I bought my ticket immediately. The times I've seen Silversun Pickups, they've been the headliner, so it was sort of interesting watching them open the show. My friend Courtney came along with me and had not really heard much from Silversun Pickups, so I was excited to have her witness their live show. They did not disappoint, either, rocking out for a solid 50 minutes, playing "Panic Switch" and "Lazy Eye" at the end of their set. 

Third Eye Blind's set: 



Silversun Pickups' set: 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)