"A Perfect Murder" (Film 133 and 134 plus 135)

What a great few days I've had. Like I stated before, I went to see Silversun Pickups last Tuesday night at the State Theatre and it was absolutely one of the best rock shows I've seen in awhile. Friday night I took a trip down to Boston with my friend Chris and his girlfriend Sarah. We went to see the Airborne Toxic Event at the House of Blues. It was a game night for the Red Sox, so of course the city was packed and traffic and parking was horrendous. But alas, we made it done and went to Boston Beer Works for dinner.

Airborne Toxic Event put on another one of the best shows I've seen. It rivaled Silversun Pickups, for sure. They played a plethora from all three albums, but I think the highlight of the night was during "Something New" the singer climbed up the speakers and walked along the pipes in front of the mezzanine and sang 2 songs from the "rafters." It was intense and I want to say completely adrenaline-based. I hope he didn't feel compelled to do so because he was under the influence of drugs or alcohol! The rest of the show was amazing. I fell in love with them because of their use of strings (re: violin) in their songs, originally. And their live show/presence was amazing.

Saturday I celebrated my graduation from my Master's Degree Program in Teaching and Learning with my parents, grandmother, uncle and sister. We had lunch at the Saltwater Grill in South Portland. The food was a bit disappointing, but it was nice to be with family. Then, at night, I had a small party/gathering with some new friends and old friends. We listened to some music and had some enticing conversations (ironically enough, one centered around the state of education here in Maine, which is rather grim). It was nice to gather in my "new" apartment and share my space with friends. I'm hoping I can have people over more often, especially now that it's beautiful outside (except for today, which is dreary, cloudy and rainy as I sit here writing).

Soon, I will be off to check out the new, updated "Great Gatsby" film by Baz Luhrman and then having dinner at Flatbread to celebrate a dear friend's own graduation/Mother's Day.

Here's to life being everything I could possibly want at the moment.

..........................................................................
"A Perfect Murder"
Starring: Gwyneth Paltrow, Michael Douglas, and Viggo Mortensen)
A remake of Alfred Hitchcock's "Dial M for Murder"

Michael Douglas is deceitful acting gold in this twist-upon-twist thriller. He plays Steven Taylor, a wealthy currency trader (perhaps on Wall Street) who has found himself in financial trouble as of late. He is also an older man who has married a much younger lady, Emily, played with expertise by Gwyneth Paltrow. In fact, I think this was one of the first films that I saw her in and I remember thinking "Wow!" I mean, girls with short(er) hair don't really do it for me, but the way Gwyneth wears it, she looks amazing.

In one of the first scenes, when Emily returns home from her infidelity, sexual escapades with an artist (Viggo Mortensen), you can't really tell who married up and who married down...as far as Steven and Emily. Later it is revealed that Emily inherited millions of dollars, though. The way this married couple looks at each other and interacts, you can tell right away that there has been trouble brewing before the cameras captured their marriage for us to watch. There is a lot of background that doesn't need to be filled in. There is absolutely no trust and when Emily is almost killed in an attempted murder/break-in that was set up by Steven, it's almost like she knew it was coming. The attempted murder is a set up and it really sets the stage for one great movie to move along swiftly and keep you guessing, although, I'm sure you can tell nothing is going to "work out" for anyone involved here, especially Mortensen's character, David Shaw, the unsuspecting artist who has his own dark secrets and hidden agendas.

You do feel bad for Emily because she wholeheartedly believes that she loves David and wants to be with him and vice versa. She is naively in love and believes she can't control her destiny when it comes to love. She's decided to leave Steven and be with David because that will make her happy. You get the sense that she is done playing the role of the Trophy-Chic Wife. Although, there's a turning point in the film where you think husband and wife will forgive each other and just carry on with their lives. A sort of: "Hey, I forgive your infidelity and I'm glad that's out of your system" and "That's okay, I forgive you for trying to have me killed." Like two extreme wrongs make it all right. You can tell that they are a Power Couple, but sex and intimacy do not interest them at all. Steven is a greedy bastard and honestly can you think of anyone better equipped to play those roles than the man who single-handedly defined that character (re: Gordon Gekko from "Wall Street").

I absolutely loved this movie when it came out and my sentiment has never changed over the years. It's one of those movies I could watch anytime and still be enthralled. I think this is one remake that did its predecessor justice and a lot of thanks could go to Douglas and Paltrow for being so convincing. The only thing wrong with this type of thriller is that often times the protagonist ends up dead (not a spoiler because I won't let you know) and with mind-fucks like this you, as an audience, want them to suffer and know that they will suffer. It's almost like the death penalty...why put someone to death for their heinous crimes and relieve them of a lifetime of suffering with the knowledge that they have wronged people for the crimes they committed. I think being left inside a mental cage of guilt, regret, remorse, etc. is far greater a punishment than the sweet release of death.

Watch this at least twice.

..................................................................................
"Paranormal Activity"
Directed by: Oren Peli

To call this film ingenious is to take away some of the credit its obvious predecessor "The Blair Witch Project" deserves for really laying the foundation for this handheld camera-very low budget- "no acting involved"-horror movies that have recently apparently redefined the horror genre because they've upped the ante in terms of box office gold where the terror seems genuine and real on the screen which makes the audience fall victim to the hoax.

But, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this film. There is not a single boring moment, even though it's designed as a homemade film where nothing much happens other than everyday activities occasionally...when  the frightening and seemingly inexplicable moments of paranormal activity occur (all at night) you become concerned. And most of these moments are designed as "what the fuck just happened?" moments (at least for me because I've grown up accustomed to the predictable horror film scares), they are still sort of jaw-dropping moments. These "real-life" horror films have changed the game, I think.

(Although, now, it seems like the entire subgenre is running its course...much like reality TV has done over the years. I mean you take one big, surprising hit and others come around wanting to cash in on it...or a franchise becomes expected and boring, running itself into the ground. I mean, Paranormal Activity itself has had 3 sequels, one of which was actually a prequel, that extend the story for a much more thorough explanation, but are they necessary? Why can't this film just stand alone?)

Here is the story of Katie and Micah. They have been a couple for a few years. They live in San Diego. They love each other. They frustrate each other (well, he frustrates her mostly). Micah has just bought a brand new camera when we first meet him and Katie. In fact, he is filming the entire thing (it's "found footage" that we are watching). Katie becomes quickly disturbed by his obsession with this new camera, but they are going to use it to hopefully figure out what's been going on in their seemingly "new" house.

You see, Katie fears that there has been some weird, albeit paranormal activity going on in the house. They both want answers. Her idea is to call in experts (one of whom we meet). Micah's idea, though, is to film everything, all the time, everywhere in the house. He sets up the camera on a tripod during the night, which allows us to see things happen even when the supposedly filmmakers are asleep, which is crucial to the story, because all the action happens when they are asleep.

There are definitely some creepy, holy shit, moments which I won't ruin by describing here. Instead, I will try to entice you enough to watch this film (late at night is the best), if you haven't already.

Both Katie and Micah are natural "actors" and the homemade effect really works with them because you are totally convinced that Katie is terrified of what's happening. They play well together as a couple, too. Their acting doesn't seem like acting at all. While you watch, you almost feel like you are intruding on a couple's found intimate video diary.

I really liked and appreciated the flow of the film and these types of films that really let the story develop on its own and let the frights come naturally without being gory and in your face should be notes to other horror film writers and directors. There is something to be said for the waiting and the silence. You don't need some many special effects and blood/guts to move the story along. Let the characters drive the story and just see where it goes.

I loved "The Blair Witch Project" when it came out in 1999, perhaps because I totally bought into it as a "real" film. I was disappointed when my bubble was burst, but it still stands as one of the most terrifying movies that I've ever seen. I hate going in the woods, to this day, and have never camped in the woods thanks in large part to the film.

I knew "Paranormal Activity" was just a film, but that knowledge doesn't take away from anything the film presents. It's a great one. I would even recommend the sequels because they are decent as well.
.......................................................................................

"Take Me Home Tonight"
Starring: Topher Grace, Anna Faris, Dan Fogler, Teresa Palmer and Chris Pratt

This is unfortunately a terrible film that prides itself on being nostalgic for the 1980s, but really doesn't do any justice to the time period. When I think of the 80s, I think: terrible fashion, yet some of the "greatest" music. There's none of that here, which is an utter disappointment, especially because the entire film basically takes place at a house party, which could be the foundation for fashion and music to blend perfectly together. And a party-film is supposed to be a good time, but I couldn't help but feel bad and sorry for everyone involved.

If I wasn't before, now I am absolutely convinced that Anna Faris is one of the worst actresses who shouldn't be getting as much work as she truly does. In this story she plays Wendy, Matt's (Topher Grace) twin sister who apparently got all the brains in the family (yeah, I don't believe it either) because she's hoping she will be attending grad school at Cambridge University, you know, the one in England. Really? Trouble is, Anna Faris has only played ditzy, blonde girls her entire film career, so this departure is completely unconvincing. And, she's struggling internally with being stuck in a dead-end relationship with the party-thrower, Kyle (Chris Pratt, okay here, but I still feel bad for him), who seems perpetually stuck in high school. Oh yeah, that's another thing, Kyle is throwing a Labor Day party for all these people who are apparently a few years out of college. It's not even like an end-of-high-school-party, which just kind of makes the entire set up sort of pathetic and sad. I was never much of a party animal, but I think those who were would even say this kind of partying is sad. They're all supposed to be adults.

The trouble is, Matt (Topher Grace) is a bit of a failure. He works at the local video store (80s throwback, videos, get it). He was in love with the beautiful blonde, Tori (Teresa Palmer, who is unfortunately a blonde doppelganger of Kristen Stewart, only a slightly better actress, which isn't saying too much), whom he sees at the video store early in the film. This sets the stage for the rest of the film, because he will be in pursuit of her, but will he get her or will he continue to be a failure? Well, he lies to her when they meet again at the video store. She's a banker (because that's what everyone did in the 80s?!), so he tells her that he works at Goldman Sachs. Everything he says is a lie and she finds out after she's warmed up to him and let him in and they've slept together. What a jerk move, being honest after you've slept with the girl of your dreams?!

The plot moves along very predictably. All the dialogue is spoken in order to move the film along and none of the characters are given time to just be people. There's no emotional connection to them at all as a viewer. I wanted to like this film, but there are other films about loser dudes that score the girl that are much better.
In recent years, I can think of two that I've enjoyed:

She's Out of My League
The Girl Next Door

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)