Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)

 Well, well, well. We've come to the end of a very strange, long trip of a year. 2020. Who would have guessed that such a year would bring such incredible music, honestly. Artists and musicians in isolation found ways to impress us with their creativity and produced some of their best work to date. And it allowed me to find some amazing new artists and bands. I had a lot of time to sit or walk or hike with new music and found a way to appreciate it all. I've grown to appreciate country, of all genres, over the years, and I suppose that has a lot to do with my adoration of the one and only Taylor Swift (who began as a country artist only to emerge a few years ago into the most incredible pop star perhaps several generations has ever seen. Regardless, I've grown to appreciate solid, well-crafted country songs and I'm not ashamed of it. Albeit, 95% of what I enjoy happens to be female country singers (because let's face it, that southern accent just kind of does it for me), I did happen to throw in a few male country artists I can fully appreciate- perhaps because the woman I found love with in the era of this pandemic happens to love country music, so it's been a part of my daily life since about June. Yes, that's right, another bizarre turn of events while going through this pandemic is the fact that I started dating someone and fell absolutely in love with her. My best friend, confidant, soulmate, and someone whom I can unabashedly share my adoration of Taylor Swift with because, she also absolutely loves Miss Swift, too. In fact, we talked about it at the end of our first date. And from there, the sparks flew. We've been inseparable ever since that first date, honestly. 

So, here's a quick list of Sean's TOP COUNTRY ALBUMS in 2020: 

(in no particular order) 

Lauren Alaina- Getting Good EP & Getting Over Him EP

Cassadee Pope- Rise and Shine EP

Mickey Guyton- Bridges EP

Little Big Town- Nightfall

Gabby Barrett- Goldmine
This was perhaps one of my favorite discoveries of the year. Solid voice. Very. similar to old-school Carrie Underwood, especially with her single... 



Hailey Whitters- The Dream

Ashley Ray- Pauline

Kree Harrison- Chosen Family Tree

Aubrie Sellers- Far From Home
When your mother is Lee Ann Womack, you know. you better prove yourself. She did that and more with here debut album a couple years ago. I even saw her live and absolutely loved her. Here is her long-awaited sophomore album, and it's no slump. 


Larkin Poe- Self Man Made
I've loved these sisters ever since I saw them as an opener back a few years in Portland. They've even opened for Conor Oberst in Boston, a couple years ago. 


Ashley McBryde- Never Will 
Outlaw country became a subgenre decades ago, and it's recently emerged again, with country artists like Ashley, Chris Stapleton, Nikki Lane, Margo Price, those who don't care about country radio exposure and make music that hits you. 


Sierra Hull- 25 Trips

Whitney Rose- We Still Go To Rodeos 

Carly Pearce- Carly Pearce
This is a girl whom I heard once and fell in love with immediately. Just something sweet and wholesome right there in her southern accent. 



Kelsea Ballerini- kelsea (AND) ballerini (acoustic versions) 
Kelsea did something a bit rare, put out a hit country record and then a few months later reimagined those songs as all acoustic tracks and released a "sister" record that almost sounds even better than the produced version. 


Maddy & Tae- The Way It Feels
These girls know how to write some hit country pop songs. That's all I've got to say. 


Margo Price- That's How Rumors Get Started
Well, this is far more leaning towards a country pop record than I would've preferred. The production is far crispier than her previous records. Still an outstanding accomplishment. 


Brett Eldredge- Sunday Drive
Brett is a brand new discovery for me, but damn, from the minute I put this album on, it hit me in the feels. His voice sounds great and the tunes are mellow, and sound absolutely perfect for a "Sunday Drive." 


Tenille Townes- The Lemonade Stand
Here's a girl with that southern twang that I just die for, especially in a singer. These are great, expertly crafted songs. 


The Chicks- Gaslighter
I have to admit and be honest, it took me a few listens to really get behind this because I absolutely loved the Chicks back in the day for their original country sound and this seemed to be their way of trying too hard to adapt to the music scene nowadays (re: very pop and sounding a bit overproduced), although I was beyond excited for their return. 


Courtney Marie Andrews- Old Flowers
This young lady has been making quite a name for herself over the past few years. I found her through Jimmy Eat World, as she toured with them and sang background vocals for their album Invented. Striking out on her own, she's adopted a perfect blend of country/folk that suits her soothing vocals. 

Lindsey Ell- heart theory 
Talk about a "heart"y album. This has breakup album written all over it. Easily one of the top 5 country albums I heard this year. 


Lera Lynn- On My Own

Cam- The Otherside

Tenille Arts- Love, Heartbreak, and Everything in Between

Lee Brice- My World
Sure, this guy found his start through American Idol years ago, but he has really paved his own way. His deep baritone voice works well and he's got some great hits on this album. I have to admit that I came to him through my girlfriend, as we listened to a lot of him all summer driving around and driving up the midcoast. So, this album hits me a bit in the feels. 


Chris Stapleton- Starting Over
After putting out a couple of shorter albums, considered Volumes 1 and 2, Stapleton is back this year with a beautiful country record and oozes appeal and cool, smoothness that perhaps only he could pull off. It's almost like he took this year and this record as a way to "start over." I dig it. I'm here for it. 


Gone West- Canyons
Here is a new project from Colbie Caillat, as she teams up with here husband (Justin Young) and her two good friends (Jason Reeves and Nelly Joy) for a good time, fun-in-the-sun country project that gives off nothing but good vibes. It's a great summer time album. \\


Ingrid Andress- Lady Like

Jason Isbell and the 400 Units- Reunions
Right in line with country folks like Stapleton and Price, Jason Isbell is perhaps the original outlaw country artist, and this man gives zero fucks who he offends. His Twitter is probably the most entertaining one out there. This album reunites him with his backing band "the 400 Units" and they sound damn good and happy to be back together. Much like the E Street Band, perhaps, when Springsteen calls them up and tells everyone he's ready to record again. 


Jaime Wyatt- Neon Cross

Katie Pruitt- Expectations

----------------------------------------------------------

This certainly was a year for amazing music, and it was absolutely crushing to not be able to see many of these musicians play their new stuff live, as usually a live show is a celebration of the new tunes. Here are a few EPs that really whet my appetite for even more music from the artist. 

MXMTOON- DAWN/DUSK  
These two EPs came out within months of each other and played back-to-back really sound like one incredible album. 

Meg Myers- Thank U For Taking Me 2 the Disco/I'd Like 2 Go Home Now 
Again, another two EPs that play perfectly off one another. Meg has always thumbed her nose at the traditional music industry and has such an incredible voice that should be getting more exposure, but at the same time, she's one of those artists that I like to call my own. 

PUP- This Place Sucks Ass 
These guys are incredible live and I'd been itching for music from them since the last time I saw them at the Royale. Seems like forever ago. This is short and sweet. A nice appetizer for more to come. Hopefully. 

Kurt Vile- Speed, Sound, Lonely KV
Kurt Vile does not seem to disappoint and this pandemic and quarantine brought out the quieter, mellow side of him. There's even a song featuring the late John Prine. Hella good. 

Holy Fawn- The Black Moon
This came out all the way back in January, which literally feels like a lifetime ago. But, I saw these guys play a super short set in Worcester and it blew my mind. Then, I heard this. Mind blown again. 

Tate McCrae- all the things I never said
Great new discovery on my end here. Perfect sounding under the radar pop. 

Tomberlin- Projections
I was really hoping for another full length from her, but this EP whets the appetite just enough. I am hoping to catch her live when things get back to normal, a bit. 

Skullcrusher- Skullcrusher
This was another awesome new discovery for me. Mellow tunes from a solo female musician that really sound amazing and I can see bigger things for her soon. 

The Japanese House- Chewing Cotton Wool 
She's on Justin Vernon's label and even gets him to join her on a track. This is great winter time tunes. 

----------------------------------------------------------

Here's my year-end list of the best albums of 2020. 

70. Wake- Devouring Rain

69. Lomelda- Hannah

68. Half Waif- The Caretaker

67. Power Alone- Rather Be Alone

66. Hot Mulligan- You'll Be Fine

65. Nuvolascura- As We Suffer from Memory and Imagination 

64. Samia- The Baby

63. Killer Be Billed- Reluctant Hero 

62. Habibi- Anywhere But Here

61. Miley Cyrus- Plastic Hearts

60. Dustbowl Revival- Is It You, Is It Me

59. Thou- Blessings of the Highest Order

58. Wayfarer- A Romance with Violence

57. Bright Eyes- Down in the Weeds Where There Once Was

56. Anna Burch- If You're Dreaming

55. Lennon Stella- Three Two One

54. Laura Marling- Song for Your Daughter

53. Phantogram- Ceremony

52. Carly Rae Jepsen- Dedicated Side B

51. LEON- Apart

50. Bruce Springsteen- Letter to You

49. Mr. Bungle- The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny Demo

48. Adrianne Lenker- Songs/Instrumental

47. Deep Sea Diver- Impossible Weight

46. Coriky- Coriky 

45. Varsity- Fine Forever

44. Charli XCX- how i'm feeling now

43. Worriers- You or Someone You Know

42. Ratboys- Printer's Devil 

41. Code Orange- Underneath

40. Bambara- Stray 

39. Frail Hands- parted/departed/apart

38. Squirrel Flower- I Was Born Swimming

37. Waxahatchee- Saint Cloud

36. Grimes- Miss_Anthrop0cene

35. The Big Moon- Walking Like We Do

34. Pallbearer- Forgotten Days

33. Sasha Sloan- Only Child

32. Deftones- Ohms

31. Lydia Loveless- Daughter

30. Porridge Radio- Every Bad

29. Owen- The Avalanche

28. Run the Jewels- RTJ4

27. Bully- Sugaregg

26. Thank You, I'm Sorry- I'm Glad We're Friends

25. Topiary Creatures- Tangible Problems

24. Mandy Moore- Silver Landings

23. The Ballroom Thieves- Unlovely 

22. Soccer Mommy- the color theory

21. Andy Shauf- The Neon Skyline

20. Hum- Inlet

19. Narrowhead- 12th Hour Rock

18. Puscifer- Existential Reckoning

17. Ariana Grande- Positions

16. Beabadoobee- Fake It Flowers

15. Nothing- The Great Dismal 

14. Hayley Williams- Petals for Armor

13. Umbra Vitae- Shadow of Life

12. Nine Inch Nails- Ghosts V and VI

11. Frances Quinlan- Likewise

10. Pinegrove- Marigold

9. Glacier Veins- The World You Want to See

8. Touche Amore- Lament

7. Fleet Foxes- Shore

6. HAIM- Women in Music Part III 

5. Pearl Jam- Gigaton

4. Dua Lipa- Future Nostalgia

3. Phoebe Bridgers- Punisher

2. Fiona Apple- Fetch the Bolt Cutters

1. Taylor Swift- folklore
1. Taylor Swift- evermore


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022