Best Albums of 2018

Here's a list that I always tend to grapple with with a couple of months before "settling."

Best Soundtracks of 2018


The Black Panther(Kendrick Lamar)
Kendrick Lamar curated this incredible hip hop soundtrack/album that was a companion to the great Marvel film. The fact that Lamar is featured on pretty much every track almost qualifies it as a stellar follow-up to his “DAMN.” album from last year, which actually won him the Pulitzer Prize this year.


A Star is Born (Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper)
I have yet to see the film remake, but I did listen to the soundtrack a few times, and I can say, with absolute certainty that these two knock it out of the park with these songs and the chemistry heard through each of them.

MID90s (EP) (Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross)

At this point, I sincerely do not think that Trent and Atticus could really do any wrong when it comes to scoring soundtracks. This EP is fantastic at creating a mood for the film, a directorial debut of Jonah Hill. The only fault is that the EP/album is far too short, given the pair’s previous soundtrack work. It definitely leaves you wanting more.

Suspiria (Thom Yorke)

Holy shit! This is the best soundtrack of the year. Hands down. Thom Yorke takes a page right out of Trent and Atticus’ soundtrack book and creates an unforgettable experience for your ears.


You Were Never Really Here (Jonny Greenwood)

Thom Yorke’s Radiohead buddy Jonny Greenwood has been doing soundtrack work for a few years now, almost exclusively for Paul Thomas Anderson and his films, but here, he creates a wonderful piece of art for Lynne Ramsay’s film, starring Joaquin Phoenix, in a career highlight.


----------------------------------------------------------
Some of the Best EPs of 2018

I’m sort of cheating here, because I’ve included a few EPs in my Best of list down below, but here are a few EPs that I couldn’t really “fit” into my best of list because sometimes I feel like when an artist and/or band puts out an EP, it is sort of cheating their fans, by just giving us a little taste of new music. Nevertheless, here are a few EPs that are worth multiple listens.

Nine Inch Nails- Bad Witch EP

Okay, so we did happen to get a lot of new Nine Inch Nails music over the course of two years, in the form of an EP trilogy, which was concluded with this great EP. Each one was filled with seemingly back-to-form Nine Inch Nails. Sure, Trent sounded angry, again, and yes, there was guitar, drums, AND computers used in the making of each EP, but all the elements that made Nine Inch Nails great a few years back can be found here- and these songs sound amazing live, as I got to see Trent’s Cold, Black and Infinite Tour back in October.



Grouper- Grid of Points EP
I only recently discovered Grouper (aka Liz Harris) and oh my god. Her voice is absolutely mesmerizing. Although this is considered an “album,” I only consider it an EP as its running length is only 21 minutes, but each song is absolutely amazing and worth several listens, to let them sink in completely.


Jenny Hval- The Long Sleep EP/ Lost Girls- Feeling EP

I discovered this incredible techno female artist a couple of years ago when she released an amazing album, “Blood Bitch.” This year, she released this great EP as a solo artist, as well as an EP “Feeling” under the band name of Lost Girls which is a collaboration.


Alison Sudol- Moon EP

Finally! The woman behind the amazing music of A Fine Frenzy is back, and this time, confident enough to release music without a moniker. Instead, she has shed the curtain and let us into her world and the music sounds absolutely incredible. So glad Alison decided to step away from her acting career for a bit to record and release this EP. I hope she releases a full album and tours in the near future.


Ballroom Thieves- Paper Crowns/ Covers EP

Admittedly, these guys have become one of my favorite bands, particularly for their incredible live shows, so I may be a little bias here, but these covers are wonderful interpretations of a few of their “favorite” songs from influential, albeit perhaps not very well-known artists. This could definitely be used a a decent introduction to a band that has their own great sound and songs. A personal favorite here, though, would have to be their version of Frightened Rabbit’s “My Backwards Walk.” And then, their "Paper Crowns" EP came out months before, early in the year, and it really showcases their ability to craft and write songs as a band- one in particular, from celliest Calin Peters, out of anger for a president who seems hell-bent on acting like a child instead of a leader.


Vince Staples- FM! EP

This is a rapper that seems to have always been ahead of his time. I wish this was not just an EP, especially after his incredible album, “Big Fish Theory.” His music style is quite an interesting mix of avant-garde, hip hop, dance, and electronica which has garnered him a lot of attention and praise. He definitely forces you to listen and pay attention.

Katie Ellen- Still Life EP

I have my sister to thank for introducing me to this incredible, indie band from Philly, as we went to see them open for a Jeff Rosenstock band a few months ago in Boston and Katie Ellen stole the night with their set. The vocals and lyrics from Annika Pyle are the heart and soul of this great band. She has that perfect raspy voice and this EP fills the void between full-length albums very well.


CHVRCHES- The Hansa Sessions EP

This has a handful of acoustic versions of songs from their great “Love is Dead” album. It is really cool to hear techno/pop songs stripped down. Showcasing Lauren Mayberry’s awesome voice.


Lake Street Dive- Freak Yourself Out EP

Okay, so, at this point, I really don’t think that Rachael Price (lead singer) and Lake Street Dive can do any wrong or put out something less than good. These few songs are “leftovers” from their excellent “Free Yourself Up” album released this year as well. As you listen, you can wonder why they didn’t make the final cut of the album, but you can also thank the band for releasing them as this EP.


--------------------------------------------------------
I always love looking at end-of-the-year music lists because it helps me discover new music that I may have missed over the course of the year. It also makes me think about the music that I found myself drawn to and returning to over the course of the past 12 months. Those albums that just hit me with the feels (for whatever reason it may be), the struck a nerve within me, that forced me to listen (closer). Music helps create a dialogue, be it arguments or just conversations, with friends, family, strangers. In creating my list, I hope to spark a conversation, but more importantly I hope to show you music you may have missed or turned a blind eye to previously.

I always have a hard time putting my favorite albums in any particular order, but what I do look for when deciding which album is a favorite includes criteria like, does the album play well start-to-finish, are there no songs that I conceivably skip over when listening, does it have extremely memorable songs, does it translate well live (as I often end up trying to see the band live at some point hopefully within the same year), and was the album in heavy rotation for me. I tend to overthink this list every year and find myself switching positions for albums after listening again and again to them, but much like my other writing projects, sometimes you just have to put your baby out there and let others grapple with it and hopefully talk about it. You want to start a discussion, by all means, let's do it. Music isn't just an escape, but rather, I see music as a way to connect and communicate with friends. 


Honorable Mentions and Definitely Worth a Spin (or Two):
The Honorable Mention list is quite long, as I spent a lot of time listening to music and discovered some amazing new music, either new bands/artists or new music from artists/bands I'd been listening to prior to this year.



  • Wake- Misery Rites (excellent metal/hardcore)
  • Drug Church- Cheer
  • Pig Destroyer- Head Cage
  • Panoptican- The Scars of Man on the Once Nameless Wilderness 1 & 2
  • Christine and the Queens- Chris (get up and dance to this album) 
  • Yo La Tengo- There's a Riot Going On
  • Adrianne Lenker- abysskiss (Big Thief's frontwoman)
  • I'm With Her- See You Around (Americana/folk trio of incredible female solo artists coming together for an awesome project)
  • Caroline Rose- Loner (wow! One of my new discoveries this year) 
  • Frankie Cosmos- Vessel (incredible indie rock) 
  • Anna Burch- Quit the Curse (one of my favorite new discoveries) 
  • The Messthetics- self (2 members of Fugazi and instrumental) 
  • Caitlin Canty- Motel Bouquet
  • Wye Oak- The Louder I Call, The Faster It Runs
  • Superorganism- self-titled
  • Beach House- 7 
  • Typhoon- Offerings
  • Middle Kids- Lost Friends (reminded me of HAIM) 
  • La Luz- Floating Features
  • Jess Williamson- Cosmic Wink
  • Ray LaMontagne- Part of the Light (seems to be coming back to his roots a bit with this one) 
  • TT- LoveLaws (side project of one of the ladies from Warpaint) 
  • Natalie Prass- The Future and the Past
  • Juliana Daugherty- Light
  • Melody’s Echo Chamber- Bon Voyage (great experimental work) 
  • Florence and the Machine- High as Hope (commercial, yes, but still real good) 
  • Judy Blank- Morning Sun
  • Hinds- I Don't Run
  • Tancred- Nightstand
  • High on Fire- Electric Messiah (love these metal dudes) 
  • Molly Burch- First Flower (one of my favorite new discoveries) 
  • St. Vincent- MassEducation (piano-driven reworkings of her amazing masseduction album last year) 
  • Kurt Vile- Bottle It In (a bit too slow, but still a decent listen) 
  • Architects- Holy Hell
  • Sumac- Love in Shadow
  • Sister Sparrow- Gold

AND NOW THE COUNTDOWN 

50. Let's Eat Grandma- I'm All Ears
British electro-pop from a couple of childhood friends that is actually very easy to listen to. I happen to love the name, as well. They are touring the U.S. in 2019 and I'm inclined to go see them.


49. Darlingside- Extralife
      These guys are from Boston and I first saw them a few years ago with the incredible MYRO backing them. Their harmonies and sound are just so damn soothing. This is a great album and sounds incredible live, too.


48. Neko Case- Hell-On
      Another gorgeous album from the queen of alt-country/folk music that stretches all the way back to the 1990s now. Her career and music just seems to get better and better with every album. This one is accessible and yet challenging to listen to as she plays with her songwriting and collabs with a Swedish producer. I saw her, again, this year and her live show just utterly blows me away, every damn time. The woman has such an incredible voice.


47. Weakened Friends- Common Blah
      One of my all-time favorite Portland-local bands FINALLY released a full-length album and it was stellar. All their songs are pretty short (the album clocks in at under 30 minutes) and fall in the same realm as the '90s indie rock that they are clearly influenced by. Hell, they even got J Mascis to shred on their "single." See them live!


46. Spiritualized- And Nothing Hurt
     It's been 6 years since this amazing space rock band released an album and what a welcomed surprise this year. A perfect album to put on to daydream to.


45. Jon Hopkins- Singularity
      I honestly did not know who this producer/composer was until a few other best of lists came out and I gave this album in particular a listen and its beauty absolutely blew me away. Right along the same lines as Spiritualized. It's rather ironic that the album is called singularity while being quite an expansive piece of work, creating a universe and enveloping you within it.


44. Big Red Machine- Big Red Machine
      This is a collaboration about 10 or 12 years in the making between Bon Iver's Justin Vernon (when does he NOT work) and Aaron Dessner from The National. Even though it's a full length album, it is part of a larger musical collaboration project involving many artists known as PEOPLE. You can tell that Justin Vernon has been working with Kanye West the past few years just through this album. It can be difficult to listen to and put a label on, as it is kind of all over the place and sounds a lot like the continuation of Bon Iver's latest album, but nonetheless, it is intriguing.


43. Autechre- NTS Sessions 1-4
     Holy crap. These sessions last 8 hours, and come together as 4 albums. This British techno duo has largely influenced Radiohead and Thom Yorke in particular, so I've always been intrigued with them. I had to listen to the albums in separate sittings and I would say that the 3 album/session is probably the most beautiful music from the set, but it is all worth a few listens, in pieces, unless you have 8 hours to spare, I mean, that's like an entire work day.

42. Coeur de Pirate- en cas de tempete, ce jardin sera ferme
      She's a French Canadian singer. I've seen her 3x now and for the majority of the show, I do not understand any of the words she is singing, but she sounds absolutely amazing. And she at least speaks to the audience in English, so I know what the songs are about. A lot of heartbreak! She plays the piano, as well. Each song is crafted perfectly to be a pop song (in Canada), and when I see her in Boston, the shows all sell out.
The title of this album, when translated, means, "In case of storm, this garden will be closed" Sounds emo to me.


41. This Will Destroy You- New Others Parts 1 & 2
    This incredible instrumental rock band released 2 "surprise" albums within less than a month of each other and they sounded amazing. Very atmospheric.


40. Sleep- The Sciences
      It took nearly 2 decades, yes, that's right, almost 20 years for these iconic stoner metal dudes to release another album. It's no accident that they released their new album on the stoner's holiday of 4/20 and it's just a great move for them as a band to put the record out on Third Man Records (Jack White's label). High on Fire also released a great album and have been chugging along as another great metal band, but this is where it's at for the band members.


39. Rhye- Blood
     This is a beautifully orchestrated album from a guy that had gone through a divorce and then found a new woman/muse. These songs reflect his journey, and he even decided to put his new lady on the cover of the album, naked. This is a slow-burning, romantic album from a talented musician who used to work with the likes of Kelis, Jhene Aiko, and even David Byrne.  It's mood setting album that you'd expect to hear late at night in a bar, under the darkness.


38. Thou- Magus
      This is one of five (!) albums this Baton Rouge, LA sludge metal band put out in 2018. It is the only "proper" album from them, as the other four were collaborations or splits. It is filled with deafening sounds and political fury, right with the times we find ourselves in. The surprise guitar riffs and drum beats throughout the album that hit a sonic boom are the best moments or the highlights of the album.


37. Tomberlin- At Weddings
      Although this album came out in the summer, I only recently found/discovered it. After just one listen, I was hooked. Her voice is incredible. This year has definitely been a year filled with amazing female singer/songwriters, for me, and what an awesome new discovery. This is a album of recovery, almost, being that she comes form a very religious background, and now, as an adult she has felt her faith dissolve. It's a very simply made album with rich undertones.


36. Mothers- Render Another Ugly Method
      Here is another new discovery for me, even though they put out a stellar album in 2016, this is the album that got me hooked on the band.


35. The Beths- Future Me Hates Me
      Another recent, new discovery for me, this Aussie indie band sounds exactly like they've been transplanted from the '90s (what's that?! I feel so old!). It's a debut album that will knock your socks upon first listen. The female singer/songwriter and guitarist has filled this album with self-loathing and albeit depressing songs, but it's relatable and that's what makes them good.

   
34. Speedy Ortiz- Twerp Verse
      This Boston band has been on my radar and one of my favorites for a few years now. Sadie Dupuis has the quirky, witty angst of an intelligent woman, quick with words and comebacks (I'm sure). She's often come across as the new version of the Liz Phair we all loved in the '90s (before she essentially sold out and lost her inspiration in exchange for mainstream success that she never really found. Speedy Ortiz is a band that should absolutely be heard more than they probably are. I struggle to want them to be bigger than they are, but then, I wouldn't "own" them as mine.


33. Lykke Li- So Sad So Sexy
      Here's a followup to a breakup album of sorts, where her previous album was filled with sadness and a shattered heart, this album allows hope to spring anew, but not so brightly, as well as Lykke Li and her sad, smooth singing voice- full of longing, perhaps for something that doesn't exist, but isn't that want being a hopeless romantic is all about. The production is interesting, given Rostam has his hands all over this album and he has a very specific sound. I'm definitely not a fan of the "trap" sound, so readily found in a lot of pop music these days (even Taylor Swift).


32. Petal- Magic Gone
      I saw this one woman band, Kiley Lotz (under the moniker of Petal), when she opened for Camp Cope this year in Boston and holy crap! Her voice and her lyrics blew me away. I immediately listened to her "new" album. Her songs are almost like direct diary entries with her clear voice and poetic lyrics. There's a nervousness and anxiety within her, as well as a sort of self-loathing that is relatable. She's struggled mentally with issues and you can hear it in her songs. Songs are her therapy and it's working.


31. Mitski- Be the Cowboy
      I saw this album appear at the top of a few best of lists, and although I did love it and having recently seen her live, hearing the songs in a new, expansive way even at a small venue, I wasn't completely falling all over the album. I appreciate it. I appreciate her. I enjoy the fact that she seems to have gone back to her roots, getting on the piano for the majority of the rather short full-length album. She exposes herself far more, with the inability to hide behind distortion of guitars and such. This album allows her to be vulnerable, and at this point in her career (5 albums in), she is comfortable with that. She has an incredible, gorgeous voice on this album. This is an album that is a work of art from an incredibly talented, young female.


30. Pistol Annies- Interstate Gospel
      I will fully admit that the minute I hear Miranda Lambert sing, I swoon. Something about that damn deep Southern accent makes my knees weak! Three amazing and talented country artists, in their own rights, come together for their third album, which shows them keeping on track with what makes them successful as a trio- writing biting songs that focus on struggles, revenge, and carrying on. Arguably, Miranda Lambert is the most successful of the three, but Ashley Monroe is one hell of a songwriter, too, and should not be discounted. Angaleena Presley seems content still flying under the radar. As a trio, they are a force to be reckoned with. These songs are feminist in nature and demand your attention, much like a strong-willed woman standing right in front of your face, ready to put you in your place.


29. Swearin'- Fall into the Sun
      I know about Allison Crutchfield because of her band, Waxahatchee, with her sister. She also had/has this great indie anti-folk and Americana band which dissolved quickly after Allison and Kyle Gilbride's relationship ended, because it was difficult to carry on as a band together when their romantic adventure was over- plus Waxahatchee was clearly making it bigger and so that demanded more attention. Finally, though, and luckily, the two were able to see past their differences as a couple and got the band back together for a far crisper sounding album and small tour. These songs and quick, fast, and filled with excellent hooks. The dup complement each other, but the band reeks of Rilo Kiley-esque disaster from relationships and frontwoman attention overshadowing the male counterpart. You hope they can survive as a band, but even if they don't, at least we got another set of songs out of them.


28. Father John Misty- God's Favorite Customer
     It's hard to follow-up a stellar album like "Pure Comedy" from a couple years ago, but if anyone is up to the task, it is Josh Tillman, playing the role of Father John Misty, ego intact, commence self-obsessiveness. The smoothness of his voice makes everything he sings sound vital and oh so important, as he croons like a Las Vegas singer looking for tips or something else on the strip. He wants to be respected and put in the same category as Bob Dylan, with his thoughtful lyrics, but we all wonder, is it all just a joke, and who is laughing, are we or are we getting laughed at? He is the true essence of hipster culture, and yet has absolutely been poking fun of hipsters the whole time. He is an ironic anti-hero for a new generation. Everything he's done is done in a grandiose fashion and I love it.


27. Lucy Dacus- Historian
     With this album, Lucy Dacus ultimately proves the "sophomore slump" does not exist in her world. Instead, she builds off what she established for herself on the first record. She has a warm voice and loud guitars, clever lyrics and a robust sound. Dacus is surveying the world around her through her songs and giving a fresh perspective on what she sees, as she works things out starting with a break-up and ending the album with a song about a death, while internalizing what it means to be alive. This shows a maturity in a "young" songwriter that is endearing and promising.


26. U.S. Girls- In a Poem Unlimited
     This experimental pop/techno project is the brainchild of Canadian Meg Remy. Her songs bring to mind another experimental, genre-bending artist, tune-yards, and her live show is absolutely incredible. I saw her months ago at a super small venue in Boston and was blown away. Much like many women this past year, Meg Remy is singing out of anger for what the world has become with men "in charge" and yet, this anger is danceable, in fact, perhaps that is the remedy she is prescribing. Dance your cares away, but be willing to change the world, too. Her biting words and skepticism for the world are apparent in each track on this incredible album.


25. Courtney Barnett- Tell Me How You Really Feel
      Here's another female artist thumbing her nose at the music industry with a sophomore album deeply rooted in proving she's better than the critical acclaim that came with her debut a couple of years ago, but also, that the praise isn't unwarranted. It seems like sophomore albums are ripe from introspection, especially when a band or musician becomes highly successful. There's an existential crisis happening for all of them and the experience it out loud, for us. The fact that Courtney Barnett can also shred on guitar is an absolute plus, after seeing her this past summer, I was left picking up my face from being sufficiently melted off. This Australian singer/songwriter deserves all the praise she gets.


24. Anthony Green- Would You Still Be in Love
      Full disclosure, I absolutely love this dude and do not think he is capable of ever putting something out that is "bad." Whether it's with his incredibly successful band, Circa Survive, his early work with Saosin (and their latest album, having reunited a couple of years ago) and/or his part in the experimental band The Sound of Animals Fighting (with members of Finch, RX Bandits, Chiodos), who have also recently reunited for upcoming shows and a new album, or all of solo works. He is perhaps one of the busiest people in the music industry. Maybe because he has to stay busy, having fought off addiction to drugs a few years ago, and also needing to provide for his large family (wife and 4 (!!) young boys. He put out this great, surprise solo album this year that I had on repeat. I didn't think he could top "Pixie Queen" a couple of years ago, but this one comes close.


23. Half Waif- Lavender
      This is just one hell of a beautiful album that reminds me of Imogen Heap's early albums. Half Waif is the work of one women, Nandi Rose Plunkett. This music is full of layered instruments and beats with her gorgeous voice anchoring each song, much like Imogen Heap, with subtle hints of Bjork, too. She has created an amazing album consisting of songs about love, family legacy, and death. This is an album to consume alone, perhaps in the dark, listening for the central theme about the paradox of intimacy. The title of the album, Lavender, is so fitting for the smoothness of her voice.


22. Cat Power- Wanderer
      This is the Cat Power (aka Chan Marshall) that I remember and absolutely fell in love with years ago. Although, I did love her venture into the jazz genre with her two albums "The Greatest" and "Jukebox," she nearly lost me with "Sun" for being slightly too experimental. This is the Chan we remember, we know, and we love. Just her voice and a guitar, with excellent moody lyrics like before. Perhaps she's found a need or desire to return to form, since having a child and seeing things through different eyes. It's her first album in six years, and a lot has changed, and with her songwriting skills and ability to look at things the way she does, Cat Power delivers a fantastic album. She even enlisted the help of Lana Del Ray for one song, not to mention Rob Schnapf to produce the record- not to mention a gorgeous cover of Rihanna's "Stay."


21. Arctic Monkeys- Tranquility Base Hotel and Casino
     Talk about the most surprising left turn of an album and what could be seen as career suicide, albeit incredibly daring for a band that made a name for itself with garage-rock songs. This is an album of absurdity that deserves your full attention and concentrated listen. It's a space odyssey with unreliable characters telling their stories, a song suite documenting a futuristic moon colony and the exodus that spawned it. Each song sounds like Alex Turner just sat and took up residency at a bar's piano and started churning out the un-hits. The album doesn't have any singles, and that's designed purposely. This is a very divisive album for the band's fanbase and I feel like people will either love and applaud it or hate and dismiss it. I, for one, applaud this venture, much like I did when Radiohead put out "Kid A" and changed the game for everyone. And much like that album, this one demands your attention.


20. YOB- Our Raw Heart
       You'd think it's a qualification of "doom" metal to be inspired by harrowing events. Case in point for this Oregon doom metal, the singer-guitarist was hospitalized for an ailment diagnosed as diverticulitis- a health scare that inspired this album. The guitar chugging and riffs sound like an arsenal of time bombs in a perfectly crafted cycle through each song. This is an amazing "contemporary" metal with songs that stretch past 7 minutes and some of the best tracks are over 10 minutes, including the centerpiece of the album (clocking in over 16 minutes). You are forced to sit and listen. Even though metal "sounds" angry, there's a lot of introspection in the lyrics, laying his soul bare for the listener.   


19. Foxing- Nearer My God
      This is a departure album for the indie band that has made a name for itself already as they clearly set out to make a classic album with former Death Cab for Cutie member and well-known producer Chris Walla. This is an incredibly ambitious album and they succeed in making a new name for themselves. Having seen them live a few times prior to this album, that is finally captured on this album. They could definitely be considered one of those new-era emo bands, much like touring bandmates like The Hotelier and TWIABP. I'm a big fan of singer Murphy's voice, too. As a whole band, they remind me a bit of mewithoutYou.


18. Camp Cope- How to Socialise and Make Friends
      This is perhaps the best find of the year, and I honestly do not quite remember how I found these Aussie indie rocking girls that could very well be described as the Aussie answer to Sleater Kinney, just years later, perhaps SK's Aussie offspring. The '90s feel very much alive within this band, as they seem to beg for a revival to making music that actually feels and makes you feel something (albeit perhaps you feel uncomfortable in the singer/guitarist's brutal truth speaking and honesty to what it feels like to be a girl/woman these days). The Riot Grrl attitude is in your face and the whole album's central theme is quite time relevant, in the #MeToo movement.


17. Courtney Marie Andrews- May Your Kindness Remain
     I recognized Courtney Marie Andrews from her short stint with Jimmy Eat World as a touring member after providing background vocals to a few of their tracks on their album "Invented." Then, she branched out and decided to make a name for herself with a distinct sound that fits nicely into the indie pop/folk/country category that has peeked its head into the mainstream over the past few years. Courtney has an incredible, unguarded and emotional voice when she sings that reminds me of Mary Lou Lord and Jewel in some ways. Her vocal performance is what shines on this crisp-sounding album and also in her live performances. I actually got to see her twice this year (headlining a small venue and then opening for Julien Baker at a free, outdoor show). She writes confessional as well as every-woman songs for the working class unsung heroes in a Trump-led nation. Her voice is just what we need right now.


16. Between the Buried and Me- Automata 1 and 2 (ep)
      You know what you're getting when you put on a BTBAM record- something complex and equally difficult to listen to. The hard thing to do here was the waiting period between these two EPs that when put together and listened to in one sitting make for a great "album." There was 3 months between the release of 1 and 2. At the heart of the first EP is the first track "Condemned to the Gallows" which is actually up for a Grammy this year (if that matters). I don't like that they split these in two parts, much like I did not appreciate how Trent Reznor clearly had enough work for a full length album with a trilogy of EPs (released months and months apart). Why wait? And why split the concepts in two parts? But, taken together, it's a healthy dose of complex math/metalcore music.


15. Turnstile- Time and Space
       Who would've known this is the kind of record we needed this year. Very reminiscent of Bad Brains and the early punk/hardcore scene in the '80s and '90s, like Fugazi or Snapcase, hell even Rage Against the Machine. This band was made for their live shows, transporting their mosh-pit ready songs to the crowd. It's an experience to be had, not watched at a distance. You are the crowd, singing along, grabbing for the mic, your body cruising over your buddies', flying through the air. The record is a mere 26 minutes long, but you're sufficiently out of energy by the end. They got Will Yip, a well-known and well-respected producer who's worked with Code Orange (who came out of nowhere last year with a hell of a record), Title Fight, and La Dispute- to help on this one, which makes it sound bombastic and dynamic. This record will kick you in the gut.


14. Deafheaven- Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
     This is an incredible band that changes its sound on nearly each and every record, like its something they set out to do each time. And it works for them. Each record is like a new mood, like a new sound they've created with a kaleidoscope of sounds that run through the gamut of black metal to punk and everything in between. With that being said, the most astounding thing about this record is how subdued it is. This is a record of pure beauty, found in all the everyday things and finding refuge in the introspective moments of life. "Honeycomb" is one of the best songs of the year.


13. A Perfect Circle- Eat the Elephant
     A lot of people hated this record because it felt, to them, like a foray into gloomy adult-alternative, subdued dad-rock you'd more than likely find with a band like Dawes. A Perfect Circle fans, like myself, have waited over 14 years for another record, and quite honestly never expected to hear another one- especially since Maynard James Keenan's track record suggests the waiting period for new records is incredibly long (re: Tool's new record, where is it?!?). Perhaps everyone feels cheated by this record, but I absolutely fell in love with this record upon first listen. It's a slow-burner relying heavily on piano and drumbeats throughout (with just a handful of hard-hitting songs) and Keenan's voice. This is an angry record for the times we've found ourselves in and it's clear that Keenan is not a Trump fan, laced through all of his lyrics. Who knew we needed this record.


12. CHVRCHES- Love Is Dead
       This band found a perfect formula in song-writing early in their career with "The Mother We Share" and have carried it through on all 3 full length albums. Never faltering. They make perfect synth pop that is rather uncomplicated and unsurprising, but that's what makes each song great, in my opinion. And then, there's Lauren Mayberry's sweet, sugary voice. This record is like a glitter bomb of sound produced by Greg Kurstin who is responsible turning Tegan and Sara into the pop mainstream hitmakers as of late. Chvrches has been there for nearly 7 years, already, and their career trajectory is looking bright.


11. Camila Cabello- Camila
     Speaking of a perfect pop record... Camila Cabello has made it, having ditched the girl-group manufactured sound of Fifth Harmony and oozing with sex appeal and sexy beats throughout this entire record, it seems like Camila Cabello knew what she always wanted and being 1/5 of a girl group was holding her back. There is not a song on this record that you skip. There is of course the dance hit "Havana" that really pushed this record into the mainstream, the hit of last summer for sure. But, there's so much more on this record.


10. Coheed and Cambria- The Unheavenly Creatures
      This is the album Coheed fans have been wishing and hoping to get for years now. It's back to The Amory Wars' story, with a new sub-story set as the focus within the world. It's setting the stage for the next part of the story (which has been confirmed to be a 5-part/album concept). And the songwriting and music is right on par with their earliest work. After the singer/songwriter, Claudio, decided to veer away from the story for their last album, given inspiration by the birth of his first son; and quite honestly, the past 3-4 albums of The Amory Wars storyline were subpar at best, feeling rather rushed. This is an epic album of all aspects, a solid 80 minutes long. It has great lyrics, great guitar riffs and the sing-along choruses are plenty. Can't wait for the other albums to see where the Unheavenly Creatures and their love story takes us.


9. Lake Street Dive- Free Yourself Up
     Born from the "classrooms" of Berklee College of Music in Boston, Lake Street Dive are scholars of the old school, retro-soul, fun-lovin' and incredible talented as a group. They clearly wear their influences all on their nice, clean sleeves. It is lead singer Rachael Price and her soulful voice that instantly hits you like a freight train and sucks you right in. As a band, they've figured out what works for them and they have seemed to master that formula of retro-soul and R & B that drives their live shows and makes the audience go crazy. They know how to write a "hit single" that lands them on the radio, but for me, the heart and soul of their records are in the slow songs, where Price's sexy voice really hits every damn note. I could, truthfully, listen to Rachael Price say/sing just about anything.


8. Julia Holter- Aviary
    This could be a difficult album for most people to sit through, for what it is- an experimental, gorgeously made chamber pop music realization for the artist. It's a 90-minute long odyssey that allows Holter to express herself and quote a wide array of worldly literature. This album includes just about every instrument imaginable and her sound evokes some of Kate Bush's best works (a very difficult comparison to live up to, but Holter recognizes that). This album about humanity was made for 2018 and all the hardships endured. I can't wait to see her live in February.


7. Soccer Mommy- Clean
    I discovered Sophie Allison (aka Soccer Mommy) this year and never looked back. She is what Liz Phair used to sound like, lo-fi and bitingly witty and brutally honest with her stories/lyrics of love and betrayal like only a 20 year old can do so well. The lo-fi approach allows Sophie to sound vulnerable and like her recording studio acts like her confessional booth, too. Each song is perfectly crafted and you cannot believe they were written by a 20 year old; definitely makes you look forward to what she has in store as she gains more and more life experiences. Her confessional lyrics and desire to be seen as cool to others makes her seem like the indie rock version of Taylor Swift, whom Sophie has admitted to adoring (specifically for her ability to craft the perfect song). Soccer Mommy is a secret for music fans right now, but hopefully she continues to get heard by more and more people. In just one year, I saw her headline the small club/venue Great Scott, to opening for Liz Phair, and then herself, headlining at the Sinclair. She is clearly going places, perhaps not to the level of Taylor Swift (re: Gillette Stadium shows).


6. Kacey Musgraves- Golden Hour
    Well, Taylor Swift did it, and did it masterfully well through a series of records, and then made an absolutely bold statement of abandoning country music altogether with her pop record "1989" as she claimed to always wanting to be a pop star, country music was her window or door into the massively successful career she's created by herself for herself. I'm not sure what exactly Kacey Musgraves' intentions have been, other than to buck the trend of country music, especially through the eyes of a woman. She was a part of the new and revamped "outlaw" country sound that emerged a few years ago, with her honest and slightly more liberal-leaning lyrics. This album makes a statement that she is ready to conquer the more pop-sounding mainstream. These songs go down so smoothly, it's hard to notice the quick, hard left turn she decided to take with this set of songs. Nearly 30 years old, Kacey seems to be enlightened on several "life" topics and unafraid to sing about them.


5. Meg Myers- Take Me to the Disco
    Now, this album has been on "REPEAT" for months since it came out. I first heard of/saw Meg Myers a few years ago when she played a $10 show at Port City Music Hall, here in Portland, and was instantly hooked. This girl can scream and howl with the best of them. And when she's angry, you know it. On this album, there's several of those songs, too. After being kicked around by her former label as they tried to create her and her sound into something they wanted the "package" to be, she scoffed and fought hard against them, essentially forcing them to drop her. She sort of fell apart and fell out of the scene to re-examine herself as a person and as a musician and what came out of this time is one incredible set of songs. She's the type of artist that should be way bigger than she actually is, but that you can tell will not compromise her own integrity to get that popularity and/or success. She's angry and she knows it. She's here, again, though, and she demands your attention.


4. boygenius- boygenius (ep)
   Easily the best thing to come out of music as a whole this year. The only reason I did not put this in the top spot is because it simply isn't enough from these three incredible ladies. 6 songs makes for an EP and only whets your appetite. Julien Baker dreamed up and helped bring the three of them together in the absolute best collaboration/ super group of the past decade or two and she contributed 2 songs. Lucy Dacus contributed 2 songs. And Phoebe Bridgers contributed 2 songs. Each have a distinct sound to their songwriting, too. It's interesting and kind of an inside joke that the trio named themselves "boygenius" since it's clear that women are ruling music these days, women are at the forefront of pop culture, and that some of the best music right now is being made "by women" these days, like it hasn't been happening for years. It's very hard to pick a "favorite" from the 6 songs, but Julien Baker's "Stay Down" is absolutely incredible.


3. Snail Mail- Lush
    The fact that Lindsey Jordan (aka Snail Mail) is only 18 and writing an album so emotionally wise and musically clear is an incredible feat for her and indie rock. The minute I heard "Heatwave" I was hooked on her. The moody guitar shredding is filled with teenage angst once heard in bands from the '90s like Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Hole, etc. which is even more unbelievable considering she was only born the same year I graduated high school (re: 2000). Her guitar playing is front and center on this clean and clear record, but it's her voice that becomes instantly recognizable and not so much lost (like it sounds on her EP). As a teenage singer, her lyrics and voice run the full gamut of everything that embodies being a teenager, sometimes within the same song. These confessional-esque songs show that Lindsey does not have all the answers, but she never claims to, and she's not afraid to live a life that gives her some more clarity and answers. This record proves she is a force to be reckoned.


2. Hop Along- Bark Your Head Off

    To attempt to describe Hop Along (as a band) and their third album (their most adventurous and "Kid A" type of career record) would be just about as hard as to describe frontwoman Frances Quinlan's voice. She can seemingly do it all- howl, hoot, croon, crack. Not only is the band owned by her voice, but also by her ability to craft a song, which made the first two albums "easy" to digest, but this one takes a few listens in order to really dive into and appreciate. She creates characters and internal monologues for herself and these characters that is almost literary in design. She writes about everyday people in almost an equal fashion akin to Bruce Springsteen. This album comes together like a masterpiece and will sit in your mind and in your ears long after you finish it, and it will beg you to play it again.


1.Pianos Become the Teeth- Wait for Love
    The minute I heard this record, that was it. I knew it would inevitably be my Top Album of the Year. It is absolutely incredible from start to finish. Everything about it. They have been mastering the craft of post-hardcore sound as a serious band that has gone from screaming their lyrics to an equally heartfelt singing. Their band, most notably their singer/lyricist, Kyle Durfey (you've absolutely gotta see them live), began by writing songs about his father's death and the effect of that significant loss; to nowadays, 9 years later, writing about new love and new hope (no, not a Star Wars reference). Behind the production board is Will Yip (aforementioned as the producer of Turnstile's record this year) and he absolutely knocks his job out of the park. "Wait for Love" is perhaps one of the most quintessential emo albums of this new generation of the music scene. Durfey writes about love in many different ways, but all through his POV. This is a sort of conceptual album in regards to the fact that it is about the metaphysical aspect of "love-making" as you journey through song to discover the difference between being emotional and truly vulnerable. That is true love. And I truly fell in love with this album. At first listen. I dare you to do the same.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Three Blockbusters- 2 Worth Seeing, 1 Total Disappointment