ZZ Ward, Live in Boston. Finally!

I came across this talented lady a few years ago, walking down Congress Street in Portland and I saw a poster for her show at Port City, advertised for $10 and I thought, why the hell not?! The minute she took the stage, I was blown away. She'd only recently put out her album "Til the Casket Drops" and I honestly had not heard any of her music, but I was instantly hooked. Her smoky, twangy, Southern-esque rapping-bluesy singing voice was enrapturing. It's always been hard to categorize her music other than hip-hop/blues/rock. You just have to hear it and experience it.

I've seen her about 4x times now, I believe. Last weekend, she played a sold out show at the Paradise in Boston and I knew I had to go see her, again. It had been a year or two since the last time. She did not disappoint at all, even when she attempted to play one of my favorite songs "Last Love Song" and just couldn't remember the verses or the chords and had to give up after a couple of attempts. Shit like that happens after years on the road and playing a variety of songs.

She had a couple of incredible opening acts as well- Billy Raffoul, an incredible blues singer/songwriter with guitar skills that rivaled many other well-known guitarists; and then, there was Black Pistol Fire- just guitarist and drummer. Their set was incredible!

ZZ WARD setlist:



  1. Play Video
  2. Play Video
  3. Play Video
  4. Play Video
  5. Play Video
  6. Play Video
  7. Play Video
  8. Play Video
  9. Play Video
  10. Play Video
  11. Play Video
  12. Play Video
  13. Play Video
  14. Play Video
  15. Play Video
  16. (Son House cover)
    Play Video
  17. Play Video
  18. Play Video
  19. Play Video
  20. Play Video
  21. Play Video
  22. Encore:
  23. Play Video
  24. Play Video
  25. Play Video
----------------------------------
Billy Raffoul is heading towards great things in the future. 


And then, Black Pistol Fire--- 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)