Alt-Country at Its Finest (Lukas Nelson and his amazing band. Nikki Lane). Plus... Turnover

Lukas Nelson is the son of country western singer/songwriter Willie Nelson, and you can see it on his face, and you can hear it in the twang of his voice. But, the musicianship and guitar playing is all him. He plays guitar like a reinvention of Eric Clapton and you can see he wears his influences like that on his sleeve. Hell, at one point, he even played a guitar solo with his teeth. The guy can shred with the best of them. And I guess it's no wonder why he and his band- The Promis of the Real- have been asked multiple times by Neil Young to be his backing band (he even released recorded an album with them), as well as Bob Dylan. This was an absolutely incredible show.




  1. Play Video
  2. Play Video
  3. Play Video
  4. Play Video
  5. Play Video
  6. Play Video
  7. Play Video
  8. Play Video
  9. Just Breathe (Pearl Jam cover)
  10. Play Video
  11. Play Video
  12. Play Video
  13. (Paul Simon cover)
    Play Video
  14. (Stevie Nicks cover) (with Nikki Lane)
    Play Video
  15. Play Video

And the night could not have started any better than having one of my favorite "new" discoveries, Nikki Lane open the show. I've seen her as a headliner twice (once here in Portland, and once in Boston). The woman is known for her alt-country/outlaw country twang and singing about real life. She is an amazing performer and I was looking forward to seeing her even more than Lukas Nelson (that is until he took the stage and just blew me away). 


--------------------------------------------------------------
A couple nights later, I headed down to Boston to check out the band Turnover, whom I'd seen open for one of my favorite bands- Thursday- a couple of years ago. They play their version of mellow guitar indie rock that is great for background music to daily life. I remember seeing them in the opening slot on that tour and not necessarily being blown away, but I have been digging their new album, so I definitely wanted to see how it transferred to the stage. They were playing to a sold-out crowd in Boston, which I believe was the first sold-out show of their tour. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)