Concerts Here and Concerts There

A little catching up to do here, as I've been to four shows in the past couple of weeks, but life has seemingly got in the way of writing about them. So, last week I went down to Boston a couple of times. Last Tuesday, I went to see Eisley (or the latest version of the band, as they've gone through a few lineup changes over the years, the two consistents being the Dupree cousins, Sherri- whose voice just sounds absolutely angelic- and Garron, but the band originally started with the three sisters- Chauntelle, Stacy, and Sherri. I remember seeing them several years ago when they opened for Say Anything (Sherri having since married Max Bemis from Say Anything), along with Moneen. I just remember being in my emo-state-of-mind heaven with that lineup, which I believe was back in support of Eisley's album "Combinations" and quite possibly the second Say Anything record, which was not as great as their debut album (...Is a Real Boy, which I bought for several of my friends back when it came out because I thought it was the best album of that year).

Anyway, Eisley was fantastic last Tuesday night and they pulled songs from their entire catalog in order to satiate fans like myself, who've stuck with them through the years.


  1. Play Video
  2. Play Video
  3. Play Video
  4. Play Video
  5. Play Video
  6. Play Video
  7. Play Video
  8. Play Video
  9. Play Video
  10. Play Video
  11. Play Video
  12. Play Video
  13. Play Video
  14. Play Video
  15. Play Video
  16. Play Video
  17. Play Video
  18. Play Video
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday night, I drove back down to Boston to see Nikki Lane, whose music I would describe as outlaw-alt-country. A little Johnny Cash, a little Ryan Adams, a little Neko Case, a little heartbreak, a little don't-fuck-with-me attitude. She's an artist I discovered a couple of years ago, when I saw that she was playing here in Portland. I believe the show was $10 and not one for passing up shows, cheap and new artists, I decided to go and her performance blew me away back then. So, when I saw she was coming to Boston (and sadly not Portland, again), I knew I wanted to go see her again. She had a couple of great opening acts this time around as well, Jonathan Tyler (whom she is dating) and Brent Cobb, who I think will definitely be making a name for himself quite soon. 

She is an amazing, commanding performer. 


-----------------------------------------------------------
This week, Monday, I went to see The Head and the Heart (minus their lead singer/band leader, who has been in rehab for drug addiction for the past several months, seemingly right after they completed their new album and right before they decided to go on tour in support of it). I remember seeing them at L.L. Bean (in Freeport), for free, about 3 or 4 years ago and being blown away by their musicianship together as a band. I was on the fence about seeing them and waited too long before it sold out to buy a ticket at face value. So, all day Monday, I was watching tickets on the secondhand market and when I found one at a price I was willing to pay, I decided to go for it. And I was very happy I decided to go because this show was amazing. 

I even "convinced" my friend to get her own ticket and come along, bringing along with ten-month old baby. 

It was not a disappointed at all, but honestly, there are very few concerts that have been let-downs for me. Singer Jon certainly had his job cut out for him, having taken over the bandleader and lead singer role and he could more than handle it and proved himself worthy of the gig. The male-female shared vocals are part of the allure of the band, and the crowd certainly went wild when Charity took the lead. 

 
I really like the opening band as well, Springtime Carnivore, and so I'm not sure why I waited and hesitated to buy a ticket, but I was so glad I went. 

-----------------------------------------------------------
And last night, I went to see a hardcore scene mainstay and still-thriving band (having sold out almost every single show on this tour), Every Time I Die. I have loved this band since their beginning when their first album hit me hard when I was working at Bull Moose and first discovering hardcore music thanks to friends I worked with. I actually remember seeing them, back in the day, probably right around when "Hot Damn!" came out, here in Portland, at the Asylum (RIP), with a stacked lineup of awesome bands- the headliners being Thursday, but also on the bill were: Stretch Arm Strong, Murder By Death, Norma Jean and one other band I can't think of at the moment. I remember going with a bunch of my friends and having a blast. I got to go with my old Bull Moose buddy, Corey, to this Every Time I Die show and it was great reminiscing about music and the ol' days, as well as running into a bunch of people from back in the day. But also, the great thing about these types of shows is the fact that it's a community and you end up meeting people, too- some of which I thought looked familiar from run-ins around town. See, a lot of people have a misconception of hardcore music in thinking/believing that it's loud, hard, fast music that evokes anger and violence. It's actually the opposite, it brings out a sense of comradery in the people that go to shows, even though, yes, there's moshing and shoving and pushing, but it's not in an aggressive manner. It's a release and everyone understands that. People, generally, are not there to hurt others. 

Every Time I Die has that sludgy, nearly a redneck-type rock and roll. The guitar riffs almost literally punch you in the face and definitely punch you in the ears. They came to Portland nearing the end of their tour, but the energy they had through the entire set would tell you otherwise. It felt like the first night of the tour, which I'm sure felt that way every night. These shows are amazing because they are musicians that give their all every night and are genuinely thankful and appreciative that people keep showing up. Every single album they put out does not deviate much from their original sound, although they've certainly learned to play faster and faster, the songs barely hitting the three minute mark. "Hot Damn!" (their second album) has always been my favorite, but again, I will listen to any of their albums, anytime (usually at the gym or in the car). They played a couple of songs from "Hot Damn!" and honestly, they have quite a large catalog of songs to pick through, so I was happy to hear those two.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)