Three Concerts to Catch Up On

On March 1 (yes, I'm still a bit behind), Neko Case came to Portland (and since I had missed her the last time, she played at Port City Music Hall in 2009, which is quite a smaller venue than I've seen her in before- I knew I had to see her). I had my great concert buddy, Courtney, with me this time around and Neko Case certainly did not disappoint. It was just her and her amazing voice, a bassist and a percussionist. The sound in the State Theatre allowed her voice and the music to carry so beautifully, it was almost ethereal. I definitely found myself lost in the music.




Here's the setlist from her show in Boston, the following night, because it seems rather similar and i cannot find one for the Portland shows.

  1. Play Video
  2. Play Video
  3. Play Video
  4. Play Video
  5. Play Video
  6. Play Video
  7. Play Video
  8. Play Video
  9. Play Video
  10. Play Video
  11. Play Video
  12. Play Video
  13. Play Video
  14. (Scott Walker cover)
    Play Video
  15. Play Video
  16. Play Video
  17. Play Video
  18. Encore:
  19. Play Video
  20. (Mike O’Neill cover)
    Play Video
  21. Play Video
  22. (Crooked Fingers cover) (with Eric Bachmann)
    Play Video
  23. Play Video
  24. Play Video
  25. (Sook-Yin Lee cover)

...............................................................................
A couple nights later, I found myself in Boston to see a great band, Ra Ra Riot. They delivered a great show and I love their new album almost as much as their older stuff. They sort of remind me of a full-sized band version of Matt and Kim, in regards to their sound. 




.........................................................................................

And then, a week later, one of my favorite live bands came to Portland, again. Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds, playing at Port City Music Hall, which is a perfect venue for them. Their sound just reverberated off the walls and that girl's voice was absolutely incredible all night. Armies (which is a duo act featuring local musicians Dave Gutter of Rustic Overtones and Anna Lombard) opened the show with a great set as well. All around great night for music with some friends. 




Here's a setlist from one of their first shows on the tour, which was about a week before the Portland show and seems rather similar. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)