8 Concerts in 8 Days!!!

The Decemberists and Lady Lamb, live at the State Theatre in Portland.

LadyLamb's setlist, as usual, was a great mix of 3 old songs and 3 new songs. And of course, coming back to Portland, she killed it and everyone loved her. I've now seen her open for Dr. Dog (my first time catching her live, back in like 2009), Conor Oberst, Beirut, and the Decemberists (for major acts), as well as many times as the headlining act, herself.

Having never seen the Decemberists, I was not exactly sure what to expect, and full disclosure, I was not very familiar with their song catalogue. I was pleasantly surprised. They are an incredible live band. Their first encore consisted of songs from their rock opera album, "The Hazards of Love." Their final encore consisted of what I'm assuming is their most popular, well-liked song- "The Mariner's Revenge" and was complete with a giant cut-out whale that swallowed each band member whole and shot confetti out of its blowhole at the end of the performance. If you ever get a chance to see them in concert, don't hesitate. I am now going to check out all of their albums.

  1. Encore:
  2. Encore 2:
...........................................................................................................
Veruca Salt reunion show at the Paradise, in Boston.

I've loved Veruca Salt since the early 1990s when I heard their radio single "Seether" in middle school. I also remember having a crush on blonde guitarist and co-lead vocalist, Nina Gordon. I bought their second album, "Eight Arms to Hold You" when it came out, and then the band broke up amid rumors of one of the nastiest in-band fights of rock history, between Nina Gordon and Louise Post. I followed and really enjoyed Nina Gordon's solo career, in 2000 she released one of my favorite albums, "Tonight and the Rest of My Life" and then another solo album a couple years later. Well, the band's original lineup has apparently buried the hatchet and animosity, having reunited for a new album and this tour. I loved their show and didn't realize they could play so loud. My ears rang for a couple of hours after the show, but it was awesome! They played everything I could have possibly wanted to hear.

  1. Encore:
..............................................................................................
Friday night, Weezer was in town and played at the Pier in Portland. Admittedly, I think Rivers Cuomo et al has certainly lost the skills and touch they had in the 1990s (as the quintessential emo band, the band that all other emo bands cited as an influence). "The Blue Album" and "Pinkerton" and two of my favorite albums from that era, and I do have to give them credit for "The Green Album" mostly because of the song "Island in the Sun." I remember driving to Mansfield, MA for a show with my good friend Amanda (whom I worked with at Bull Moose back then) and her two friends, Courtney and Laura. We were late to the show because of an oil truck tipping over and spilling gallons of oil on the highway, but alas we made it and I saw Weezer for the first time, back in like 2001. Then, I saw them a few years later in Lewiston (my hometown). I was in college then and went with a few friends I'd made while attending USM. I remember the opening band, The Fray, throwing out fruits (re: oranges) with a link to their debut album stuck on it. I thought, what a gimmick, at the time. Then, the band went on to be featured on the show "Grey's Anatomy" and got to be very successful. I saw them at the beginning, though, and they never impressed me. 

 
  1. Encore:
..........................................................................................................
Saturday night at the new, outdoor venue in Portland- Thompson's Point. Grace Potter, with opening band, Lake Street Dive. Probably my favorite show of the summer! Two incredible bands to see and hear live! I think I've been in love with Grace Potter since seeing her at Port City Music Hall about 5 or 6 years ago. She has such a powerful, soulful voice and can rock out with her guitar with the best of any male musician. I remember thinking, this girl can demand and command attention like any great frontperson in any band I've seen. I was transfixed by the band's sound and have now seen them I believe 5 times. And then, there's Lake Street Dive. These four musicians met while attending Berklee College of Music in Boston and created such an unique sound, with the lead singer's voice sounding like they could be in the 1970s, playing Blues/R&B type clubs. 


Grace Potter's setlist: 
  1. Encore:
  2. (Harry Nilsson cover)
  3. (Rod Stewart cover)
.............................................................................................................
On Sunday night, I saw Conor Oberst's punk band, the Desaparecidos, who were great. I missed them back in like 2000 when they opened for Jimmy Eat World and kicked myself back then, so this time around, I knew I had to see them. Conor Oberst is such an amazing artist and he really brings it and gives it his all. 


Here's their setlist, which really focused on their new album, but they definitely put in the songs from their first (and only other) album, which I was dying to hear! 
  1. $$$$ 
  2. Encore:
.............................................................................................................
On Monday night, I went to see Father John Misty (who happens to be a sort of alter ego for the ex-drummer of Fleet Foxes). Oh man, this guy knows how to be a solo artist and put on an incredible show. His crowd interactions and banter was fantastic, too. There's apparently a story out there of his one-and-done performance at the Newport Folk Festival a couple of years ago, where he was asked to not come back again. 

  1. Encore:
.....................................................................................................
Then, on Tuesday night, I drove down to Boston to see a couple of reunited bands play at the Blue Hills Pavilion. Refused, the punk band from the late 1990s, from Sweden, who broke up after releasing one of the best albums I've heard- "The Shape of Punk to Come," which I discovered thanks to some friends I worked with at Bull Moose back in like 1999. They are back together and just released a new album.  They put on such an amazing live performance, worth the price of my ticket, as far as I am concerned; and I would have watched them for an hour and a half. 

  1. (with cover of Slayer's "Raining Blood" interlude)
Refused was opening for another reunited band, Faith No More, who, truth be told, I was never really into that much, and for years I hated Mike Patton (not sure if my opinion has truly changed that much, because he seems like a rather pompous asshole, but his musical talents certainly cannot be denied- the guy is an incredible artist, which all of his varied projects). Anyway, Faith No More played a really good set as well. 

  1. Epic 
  2. (with Boz Scaggs - 'Lowdown' interlude)
  3. Easy 
    (Commodores cover)
  4. Encore:
  5. (Patton dove into the crowd and surfed)
.....................................................................................................
And finally, on Wednesday night, I went to see TUNE-YARDS in Portland, at a small venue that was actually packed. I was happy to see her draw such a large crowd, but honestly, I wasn't sure what kind of crowd would be there. I was an amazing live show, for sure. I couldn't find the setlist for her Portland show, perhaps because of the venue (being small), but here's a setlist from her show a couple nights later, seems about the same. 

  1. (with Shabazz Palaces)
  2. Powa 
  3. (with Shabazz Palaces)
  4. Encore:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)