Three Poems.

"Feeling Spiritual" 

God and the devil are waging war in me
Like black fights the white in your eyes
Or better yet, blue and black are allies
Using their fists to kiss upon skin

I am only bereaved
When wrapped up in you
If I only could die
Within the confines of the sunset colors of bedsheets
Dove under to beat
The summer evening's heat

You don't play nice
Because I know
You've had better men than me
Before our tryst
Love was all I thought I would need
Now I know better than you 
That love has led me astray
I am a dog off his leash
Trapped inside your mental cage
Taking endless laps

Pride was my only sin
You took it like a bargaining chip
At the end of a discussion
About the politics of sex
Licking your lips to make your point
Such as this: 
Who should make the first move
Is it in you 
To let yourself be vulnerable
If, within a breath
You feel the hesitation on my lips
Will it discourage 
Or intrigue you even more

What if, I meet you halfway
At the edge of the bed
To catch your backwards glances
As the whites of your eyes
Look in my direction
While my hands grasp your flesh
And mold you like clay 
While your thighs tighten their own grip 
And your knees grow weaker 
Than the alcohol you drank hours before

My bed stirs with delight
Knowing we belong with each other
At least for the night 
And in the morning, you'll be gone, just a single mother
..........................................................................................................................

"Blasphemy Makes This Sound Better" 

You reach for the hammer and nails
While I am left hanging on this cross
Built for two 
Suits just one
And it isn't you 

I will die for our sins
As it seems
You've lost the will to fight
Instead, you turned me in
Saying I claimed to be
The Savior you'd been looking for

Now I will die by your hands
As you watch 
In disbelief to what your treason
Has made of me

A martyr to the cause: Love
Had no effect on you 
It's plain to see
As you shed no tears of what's to be
Come of me

I'll be put in the ground, alone
But tell the men to dig my grave
A little deeper 
Six feet under isn't enough distance
Between you and I
...........................................................................................

"The Final Nail in My Coffin" 

This love is just a lie
Left me questioning morality when I get high
Off her supply 
Of pheromones 
When she slips into my bed
And performs her act like no other
Making me forget all the girls before her

When she looks up at me
And the whites of her eyes
Are as white as the bleached wool
From a lost flock of sheep
And I coax her to my sheets
Beg her off her calloused knees
I tell her, 
My aim is to please

This love has got to die
Like a plane crash-landing 
I see the tears welling in her eyes
The truth is, baby, 
You're only pretty when you're crying
And I'd be lying
If I didn't say 
I like your eyes better blackened 
Hiding the hue of blue 
Like storm clouds in the sky 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)