Three Poems. One Busy Night of Writing.

"The Bank, The Loan Officer, The Investment, The Scam Artist"

Heard some stories about- 
Warned about- 
Getting caught up with a girl like you 

Can't get past the look in your eyes
When you look at me 
The way you always seem to
Telling me that what you want 
Is what I can offer 
But I never give enough 
Still, you take it all 

And now I am bankrupt on emotion
Hurt from my own terms
Of endearment, which I loaned to you 
On the trusted idea of getting interest 
From you in return
For who I am 
The man I claimed to be
Was never what you wanted 
When you thought you knew what you wanted 

And now my investment hasn't paid off
I'd rather pay you off
Then continue to empty my pockets 
I am no longer interested in loving you 
Since it's an investment which has brought me nothing
In return, except a yard sale of emotions
For which my rented table in the crowd is vacant 
Like the stare you gave me 
When I said, 
"But I love you" 
No monetary value
Turns out love is just a scam
....................................................................................................................................

"Play These Notes When I'm Gone" 

Just how bad is the cancer
Inside a heart
Turned blacker 
Than coals before set fire
In our place
Where we once laid
In bed
Fire, it did spread

Just how bad could heartbreak be
When it still beats in time 
Signature of the metronome 
Keeping pace with the notes
Played in a lowered tone
As I sing out your name 
Through an open window 
To convey the misery felt 
Watching you walk away 

When our song is played in reverse
I get the sensation 
Of the feeling
Of you leaving me 
Just right 
...........................................................................

"Captain, My Captain" 

I have laid waste to 
Momentos
Commemorating 
What used to be 
Of our love

Better for me 
set adrift on tides
Of beaten seas
When at peace
We were the ocean
Navigating 
Now, all is lost
My heart having paid the cost

You were my captain
Shouting commands
To change course
Bypass the rough terrain
Of crashing water and tidal waves

Better to be capsized 
Thrown overboard 
Than hiding beneath the deck 
With a coward of the difficult journey 
......................................................................

"You Versus Me" 

Your head
        My shoulder-Collapsed
Your fingers
        My arm- Grasping
Your breath
        My neck- Tickled

My palm
     Your cheek- Caressing
My eyes
     Your face- Watched
My voice
     Your ears- Whispering

Your mouth
        My lips- Kissed
Your eyes
        My soul- Pierced
Your heart
        My hands- Sheltered

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)