Albums That Have Had Staying Power

Music is a constant in my life and daily activities, from listening to it on my iPod at the gym to playing it while I read/write/type, etc. to setting a mood to driving anywhere in my car whether it takes 2 minutes for 5 hours to get somewhere to playing it in my classroom. I have to have music on. I have recently been thinking about the albums that have been most influential in my musical upbringing lately and I wanted to share a list of the Albums That Have Stayed with Me Throughout My Life.

In no particular order:


Spoon- Girls Can Tell

I discovered this album thanks to my sister, who worked at WRBC, the Bates College radio station while she was a student there. It is perfect indie-pop.



Bikini Kill- Reject All American

Again, I found them thanks to my sister, but also because of my love for all things Nirvana and Kurt Cobain related. Kathleen Hanna was probably the original Riot Grrl!



Beastie Boys- Paul's Boutique

Although my cousin introduced me to these three white rappers with their Licensed to Ill album, most notably their tracks- "No Sleep til Brooklyn" and "Fight For Your Right" and "Brass Monkey," it was their second album that really blew me away, because it's completely different than its predecessor.



At the Drive-In- Relationship on Command

These guys were a brutal assault on the indie, post-punk scene. It is their only full-length album, and they were toted as the new saviors of rock/hard rock with enough adrenaline to knock you on your ass after listen to the entire album, but then, you have to listen to it again immediately. Unfortunately, they disbanded shortly after this album was released. You have to see them perform live to really get the energy they release.



Alice in Chains- MTV Unplugged

Although it came after Nirvana's MTV Unplugged album which really blew me away and felt like Kurt Cobain's pre-funeral arrangement (flowers included), it was in listening to Layne Staley's voice filled with despair that I really connected with at the time. You can tell he was struggling for a long time, but never took to the spotlight. He suffered in the shadows and his overdose death did not get nearly the right amount of attention.



Dido- No Angel

I remember the first time I heard Dido's voice. It lulled me into a deep calm serenity. Every time she comes out with an album, it never seems like enough and it leaves me craving more. She sings about depressing heartbreak and love, too, in the most perfect way.



Fugazi- In On the Kill Taker

I was introduced to Fugazi by my cousin, who let me listen to "Repeater" over and over again, but it was this album that I purchased for myself that really shaped my love for DIY, post-punk music. Their sound is original and influential.



Nirvana- In Utero

You'd think I would go with "Nevermind" but being a huge Nirvana fan from the time I was a teenager to now, I absolutely love their last studio album which really showcased that they couldn't necessarily to pigeonholed into the grunge-makers and saviors of the rock movement that everyone said they were. This album is just hard enough to make it slightly controversial, thanks in large part to their song "Rape Me" and the music video for "Heart Shaped Box." With this album, it would have been really interesting to see where Kurt Cobain would have taken the band's sound if he'd lived longer.



Nine Inch Nails- Pretty Hate Machine

I was introduced to Nine Inch Nails by my cousin, again, whom I idolized as I was budding into a teenager. Although, as a brooding teenager I definitely identified with "The Downward Spiral" more, it has always been the first album that spoke to my ears and my ears listened intently.



Pearl Jam- No Code

This is the album that helped them sort of breakaway from their mold of grunge rockers. It's definitely always been my favorite album of theirs, because it's experimental, just-enough.



Portishead- Roseland NYC Live

I remember seeing Portishead on Saturday Night Live to promote this album when Sarah Michelle Gellar was the host. At the time, I was convinced the hosts picked the performers and so I believed if my crush SMG loved Portishead, I had to and they were good enough for me. I bought this album and it knock me on my ass. I love listening to this album late at night or early in the morning.



Radiohead- OK Computer

I love this album. It could very well be in my Top 5 albums of all-time. I remember buying this album and listening to it over and over again with my sister in our parents' bedroom while we surfed the newly birthed internet. With this album, I could get the sense that they were really on to something new, exciting and inventive. And look what it paved the way for...



Rage Against the Machine- Rage Against the Machine

Thanks to my cousin, yet again, I discovered that anger can fuel some of the best music and end up being rather therapeutic. I can remember playing this album in my mother's Windstar van as we drove to pick up my sister from high school tennis practice and the shock of my mother when she first heard "Fuck you I won't do what you tell me!" over and over again. They were also my introduction to political and intellectually stimulating music, along with Fugazi.



Sleater Kinney- Dig Me Out

I discovered this 3 female band out of Portland, Oregon thanks to my sister, yet again. This is perhaps the best break-up album of all time. I love their sound and Corine Tucker has one of the best singing voices. They never got the props they ever deserved, except being named The Best Band of the Decade by Time magazine right around the time they decided to call it quits after releasing another great and perhaps the best post-9/11 album (aside from Springsteen's "The Rising").



Tool- Aenima

Even though this is their third album, it was the first one I heard and soon after I went to see them in concert and was absolutely stunned by their sound and presentation. Maynard is one of the best lyricist, who proves you can be smart/intellectual in the approach to songwriting. These are some of the best musicians who work separately, yet together to create some of the best, melodic songs.



Violent Femmes- Why Do Birds Sing?

I discovered the Violent Femmes, yet again, thanks to my influential cousin. This was one of the first albums I ever bought and listened to. Gordon Gano's voice is unbelievable and direct. I love their version of "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?" on this album.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)