All-Time Favorite Films (Much Anticipated and Long-Overdue/Long-Awaited)

I was recently asked by a friend, who's been reading (hopefully, consistently) my blog about movies, to compile a list of some of the best "hidden gem" type of films that I've seen (in other words, movies that I think are great/good but have been seen by a very small audience). This has turned out to be a harder task than I thought, perhaps because I'm putting too much thought into it, or perhaps it's because it's hard to know or gauge the kind of audience certain movies may or may not have gotten, upon release. So, I'm still working on that list, but it has made me think of a couple of other lists that I could work on, so I'll present to you a different kind of list while I still ponder the "hidden gems."

MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE FILMS

(Now, keep in mind that I am 32 years old. I was born in 1981, so I am only considering movies that struck me in some emotional way when I first saw that. These are the movies that affected me, for whatever reason, and have stuck in my mind throughout my life. These are movies, also, that I could watch over and over again. And, obviously, I know there are some amazing movies from before I was born, but for all intents and purposes, I'm going with movies within my own "generation.")

1. Good Will Hunting 
    (The only movie to really make me come to tears in the theatre)


This film inspired me to be a writer (even if it is in my spare time). I just think everything in this film is perfect. Including, the accompanying music: 




2. American History X
   (I still have a very hard time watching the infamous "curb" scene)




3. Before Sunrise
    (Perhaps the best film about love, with the primary focus being dialogue)


I've always admired the writing of dialogue from this film and in fact, I've tried to imitate it, to a degree, in my own writing. I love everything about this film, but mostly I just love listening to these two people converse.


4. Chasing Amy
    (One of the funniest, eye-opening dissections of love and relationships)



5. Garden State
    (Talk about existential crisis and the quintessential Manic Pixie Dream Girl- in my mind)


Another great soundtrack, including a song that "will change your life"




6. The Virgin Suicides
    (Still cannot really explain why this movie has affected me so much, but it does)




7. Training Day
    ("King Kong ain't got shit on me!" Denzel Washington's best performance ever)




8. Se7en
   (Something about this film just really struck a cord in my mind and really made me think)




9. Say Anything
    (The greatest teenage-love story with a downright likable dude)


Again, includes one of the best tied to a film:




10. Empire Records
      (This film was my inspiration for working in a record store, and I got to live out my dream- it ruled)



MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE DIRECTORS/WRITERS 
(re: I will stop everything to see their movies, and they can usually, most of the time, 98% or higher knock it out of the park, for me)

In no particular order: 

Sofia Coppola
Quentin Tarantino
Darren Aronofsky 
Christopher Nolan
Wes Anderson
Paul Thomas Anderson
Noah Baumbach
Richard Linklater
Terrence Malick
Clint Eastwood
David Fincher
Cameron Crowe
Edward Burns
David O. Russell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)