This is the Beginning of a New Year and a New Project (FITNESS and HEALTHY EATING(

I’ve been going to the gym since I was 18 years old, mostly because I’ve always wanted to maintain my physique/appearance, with a little bit of an intention to get bigger (muscular), but here’s the thing: I’ve also struggled for many years with a self-diagnosis of body dysmorphic disorder.

Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)

 Most of us have something we don’t like about our appearance — a crooked nose, an uneven smile, or eyes that are too large or too small. And though we may fret about our imperfections, they don’t interfere with our daily lives.
But people who have body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) think about their real or perceived flaws for hours each day.
They can’t control their negative thoughts and don’t believe people who tell them that they look fine. Their thoughts may cause severe emotional distress and interfere with their daily functioning. They may miss work or school, avoid social situations and isolate themselves, even from family and friends, because they fear others will notice their flaws.
They may even undergo unnecessary plastic surgeries to correct perceived imperfections, never finding satisfaction with the results.
I’ve had trouble eating healthily for years now. In fact, when I started going to the gym, I would eat far less than necessary for the amount of physical activity/working out that I’ve always done. When I was a senior in high school, I barely ate, eating just enough to get by. And then when I graduated high school, I was leaving in my uncle’s basement (rent free) and working at a record store, making enough money to get by but I never really saw the point of spending money on food. Food has never really been something I’ve gotten excited about. I’ve always seen it as simply something you have to eat in order to stay alive (of course). Maybe I was anorexic back then, I don’t know. The simple fact is that I’ve never weighed more than 138 pounds, even though, I’ve consistently worked out at least 5 days a week since I was 18 years old (hell, sometimes 7 days a week). I’ve always been very active, too. I played hockey (year-round) from the time I was 5 years old until my junior year of high school. I can remember seeing the movie “Troy” starring Brad Pitt and I wanted to look like that (albeit, I’m much shorter):
Now, I know that’s quite unrealistic, but I’ve struggled when I see really fit and muscular men in the same way that I believe women struggle when they see models and such.
Anyway, I set a goal for myself this year to attempt to gain about 15-20 pounds of muscle (which would bring me to about 160 pounds). I’m going to be far more focused in my workout routine. I’ve spent a lot of time researching on Pinterest (I know, right) looking for routines focusing on each specific muscle group. But, the most important aspect of this whole project, for me, is to starting eating better/healthier.
And so, I’m going to use this blog to update everyone on my workout routines and things that I eat/cook and/or make for myself, since the majority of this project will focus more on the food intake. I’m excited for this year-long journey (which of course will extend past a year and hopefully go on for the rest of my life). I’m only 32 years old, by the way, so it’s seems like the best time. 
.......................................................................................
I started my new workout routine with a focus on my arms- Biceps- because, let’s face it, I think all guys want to have bigger arms. 
Stretch- 10 minutes
Treadmill Run- 38 minutes (3.25 miles in 30 minutes with an 8 minute walk)
  1. Barbell curls (50 lbs) 4x
  2. Machine Bicep curls (80lbs) 4x
  3. Alternate Dumbbell curls (25 lbs) 4x
  4. Dumbbell Concentration curls (25 lbs) 4x
  5. Reverse-grip Barbell curl (30 lbs) 4x
I think I need to push myself a little harder with more weight because I left the gym not really feeling like I exhausted my muscles. 
I also spent 5 minutes cooling down in the massage chair. Thanks Planet Fitness (and my black card membership). 
BREAKFAST
Chibota pomegranate yogurt
2 pieces of toast
Peanut butter and apple slices tortilla wrap
Green Tea (2 cups) 
SNACKS
Pretzel rods 
Green Tea (2 cups)
DINNER
5 chicken tenders 
Kidney beans (plateful) 
Green Tea (2 cups)
**** I clearly missed lunch, but it was because I had a "snow day" from school, and so I was feeling pretty lazy! I also need to go grocery shopping in the next day or so (if this snow ever stops), so then I'll be stocked up with some much better good options, since I've been doing research on the best/better foods to eat healthy as well as the best foods to eat to balance my workout routine. 
*** I watched 4 films (rather short, less than 90 minutes each) today due to our snow day, so up next will be my reviews of those films. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)