After an Amazing Weekend...Films

Last Saturday, when I went to Iron and Wine at the State Theatre with Vanessa, we happened to meet up with a couple friends of hers, Ashley and Rory (who were both apparently at Vanessa's wedding back in September, but I don't remember meeting, at all). This is only relevant a week or so later, because Rory and I became friends on Facebook (yes, I found her first, but only because she seemed really cool and I wanted to get a chance to talk to her again). We exchanged numbers and then chatted about our love for music, decided we needed to do some trading of music. I also told her about the upcoming show at Port City Music Hall. Ra Ra Riot, Friday night. I asked her if she wanted to go with me because I was definitely going and I thought it'd be a great opportunity for us to talk some more. So, Friday, we met up and went to a fun, high-energy show. They put on an amazing live show. I love any bands ability to incorporate violin and cello into their songs, and many of them were infused with that element (much like Airborne Toxic Event, except RRR is more of a dance-able, jump up and down kind of band). I got to know more about Rory in between sets from the opening acts (both just as good, a Portland hip-hop/electronica trio and then a band called Magic Men). Apparently, Rory and I share an non-guilty (at least on my end) pleasure for all things Taylor Swift and Britney Spears.



Here's Ra Ra Riot's setlist from Friday night. Be advised to certainly check them out!

Too Too Too Fast
Shadowcasting
Binary Mind
Oh La
For Once
Dance with Me
Too Dramtic
St. Peter's Day Festival
Wilderness
Angel, Please
Each Year
Can You Tell
Beta Love
When I Dream
Run My Mouth
Ghost Under Rocks
Boy----------
Dying is Fine
I Shut Off

Saturday night, I had to find someplace to watch the Boston Bruins game. I haven't made much of a point to watch much sports since the Patriots season ended so many months ago, but I was looking for something to do Saturday night and hell, it's playoff hockey. So, I headed to Bayside Bowl (the often-chosen site of many of my first dates). Turns out, it's just as equally a great place to hang out and watch people/games. They have a big screen which they project games on. I had some delicious nachos and a few beers while I watched the game. An older men had requested to watch a college lacrosse playoff game, which took up the big screen for the majority of the game. And he came over and sit/talked with me for a good 20 minutes or so. When he went to the bathroom after our conversation, he actually said, "Now don't do anything funny, like roofie my drink." HA! Okay! Clearly, I didn't make it more obvious that I was spending the entire night checking out the cute bartender, named Dakota(!), any chance that I got. Regardless, it was a fun night, taking shelter from the rain.

And then came Sunday. Vanessa has bailed on me the past 2x so I headed to breakfast myself last week in Auburn. Yesterday I hit up Sonny's in the Old Port for a delicious brunch, after logging in some time at the gym. Then, I headed to Lewiston to join Vanessa and her family for lunch at her parents' house. It's funny, because I will usually go to breakfast with Vanessa (a long-standing tradition dating back a few years now) and then we will head back to her house and I will hang out for a bit before she takes the family to her parents' house. The 2 kids have asked me to join them for lunch a few times, so finally, Vanessa asked her parents if it would be all right, and they of course said yes (because they are very nice, welcoming people whom I've known now for about 8 years or so). We had some excellent chicken from the grill with potatoes and corn, followed by peanut butter cup ice cream! We watched most of the Red Sox game (again, I don't think I've actually watched one entire game, besides maybe one with my dad).
Then, I headed to my dear friend Deanna's house for an evening of great, raucous-inducing fun. She had enchiladas that were delicious and we played a fantastic game called "What?" This game always invokes some inappropriate, albeit inside jokes that never get old, but I think the best moment of the night came when I laughed hysterically at my own written joke for about 5 minutes. I am my biggest fan! The night began around 6 o'clock and I didn't leave her house until about 1:30 in the morning. Outings at her house always end late in the evening/early in the morning...in fact, I usually end up spending the night, sleeping on her couch. I don't know why. but this time I didn't feel like it, so I drove back home and arrived back at my place around 2:30.

And this morning I took a 2-hour bike, because of the beautiful (finally) spring weather, after days and days of rainy and dreary weather. I was about to build myself (and my cat, Artex) an ark! Then, I walked down to the Thirsty Pig, because they have excellent sausage(s) sandwiches. I ordered up and had a few beers while I sat out on their deck, listened to music and finally got some reading down. (I haven't done much pleasure reading since beginning my film project here). I'm reading an excellent, quick-read book called "The End of Everything" which has elements of "The Virgin Suicides," "Snow Angels," and "Gone Girl."

My soundtrack for the day included the new album from Vampire Weekend (what a great album), the Shouting Matches (Bon Iver's side project, which Rory gave to me Friday night), Lady Lamb the Beekeeper's amazing album "Ripely Pine" and some more Airborne Toxic Event!



...........................................................................
Film 149
"Everything Must Go"
starring: Will Ferrell and Rebecca Hall

"Everything Must Go" is the kind of film you sort of dream about being made, with the unlikely star found in Will Ferrell (really best known for his comedic chops and missteps along the way, but who will ever forget his historic tenure and plethora of characters on SNL). Yes, he's done the dramatic thing before (re: Stranger Than Fiction) but that was a bit of a failure. Here, he was chosen to play the lead role of Nick Halsey and it really works thanks to an excellent script, which was adapted from a short (6 page) story written by Raymond Carver (which has already been adapted for the screen in a short film called "Everything Goes" starring Hugo Weaving in the Ferrell role and a stunning Abbie Cornish in the Hall role- it only lasts about 17 minutes but still captures the essence of Carver's words).

In the first 5-10 minutes we learn all we need to know about Nick to set us up for the rest of the film. He loses his job because of an alcoholic binge while on a business trip (after other free passes and understandings from higher ups). He goes home to discover his wife has left him, locked him out of his house, and put all of his belongings on the front lawn. Oh, she's also frozen his bank account, so he has no way to spend money. Kind of important for the rest of his pathetic existence. He's also fallen off the wagon, again, because on his way home from work, he buys quite a few beers and starts drinking right away.

What is so great and effective about Nick's reaction is that it is totally believable for the kind of person we are set up to believe him to be. He does not get mad or furious (like a lot of men might do). He doesn't get violent (no one is there anyway, so what's the point). No. Instead, he does exactly what he probably set out to do regardless. He sits in the recliner (now on the front lawn), cracks open his beers, and starts drinking his way through the 12-pack and 6-pack he picked up. He doesn't give a shit. Although, he begins the film wanting to hold on to his possessions and believes he can win his wife back.

Then, he meets a young black boy (played by Christopher Jordan Wallace, who happens to be Biggie Smalls son, grown up into his teenage years, in real life) who kind of gets on his nerve to start, but then when Nick learns more about the kid and how he spends a lot of time alone, he begins to feel sorry for him (instead of himself) and they begin a friendship. An unlikely one, but certainly one that they each need. This boy actually teaches him, in a way, to let go of his possessions. He urges Nick to have a yard sale, which happens at the end of the film, but is totally a metaphor.

He also befriends his across-the-street neighbor, a young, attractive and pregnant lady (played with just enough reserve by Rebecca Hall). In the Carver story, Nick ends up giving all his front lawn possessions to this neighbor who is married. So, it's a young, married couple that he bonds with, in the story. In the story that makes since, it's like a passing of the torch, in a way. Here, it doesn't really work and she almost ends up as a casualty of his way against himself, but they patch things up in the end. Part of me just wanted the unhappy ending, because this isn't an uplifting story. So, their friendship seems forced, in order to move the story along and give Nick a reason for changing. The same can be said for Nick reaching out to an old high school crush, whom he tracks down after finding his old yearbook. He's clearly only looking for comfort from both of these girls (one is younger, one is his age). There's a forced sense of each of the adult characters needing comfort and healing, and even though it happens in real life quite often (or maybe just in my circle of friends), and it doesn't work for me here. I want the sadness. Nick is a pathetic alcoholic who has made awful choices and these choices have led to circumstances. He made his bed (or recliner) and he must lie in it. We see Nick hit rock bottom and it's sort of unclear if by the end of the film he's actually out of it, or just finding a way to climb out of it.

Either way I enjoyed watching Will Ferrell give it his all in this dramatic role and I think he was successful, give the material from a 6 page story. He gives Nick an excellent background story that shows itself through the film, as it develops in front of us.

Rebecca Hall is an underrated actress and I wish she had better material to work with, but I think her character's sadness and uncertainty about the future comes through, just enough, for us to feel bad for her...but then her damn husband shows up. Part of the happy ending I wasn't looking for.



.................................................................................
Film 150
"The Panic in Needle Park"
starring: Al Pacino and Kitty Winn

Another damn film about drugs! What is my problem? It's like I've subconsciously sought out these films, thanks to my relationship history.

The tagline for the film: "God help Bobby and Helen. They're in love in Needle Park."

That says it all. Bobby (Al Pacino) meets Helen (Kitty Winn) by happenstance and she enjoys the stability he gives her. Only trouble: Bobby is a drug addict (heroin) and a hustler (a drug trafficker who gets in far deeper than he can handle). Heroin is the drug of choice for a reason here, because these addicts are a special breed. They become psychologically addicted to the ritual behind using it, especially the needle. There is lots of close-ups of needles piercing skin and I think it loses its effectiveness after the first couple of times we see it. We see more of the physical relationship with drugs and not the psychological effects of it, which takes away from the relationship and feelings we could develop for both Bobby and Helen. It doesn't help that Helen is also a very weak female character. She always goes back to her abusive boyfriend, who is really proving how shitty of a person he truly is: he's trafficking, forcing Helen to turn tricks in order for them to have money to support their habit (and she agrees to it because she's an addict), he physically abuses her (shoving, slapping, choking her), and verbally abuses her (calling her lots of names). She clearly cannot be alone. She clearly has issues with herself that she doesn't want to deal with. She is clearly using this relationship as a way to avoid. She clearly is an addict and a user. Through Bobby, she has easy access to drugs.

Helen is a small-town girl who came to New York City to go to college. She falls in with a group of drug addicts and her boyfriend just happens to be at the heart of the group. She is an interesting character because she is vulnerable, but also very tough; she's also innocent (when she shows up and slowly loses it as she immerses herself in the group and the drug culture), but also cynical. She has two things driving her from the inside: love and self-preservation. She reminded me so much of my ex-girlfriend and her story that it was sort of scary to watch.

Watching this film, definitely made me recall conversations with my ex-girlfriend and I could almost visualize her and her ex-boyfriend of 5 years as they lived out their dead relationship on the screen in front of me. I wonder if these drug-related films would have such a strong effect on me if I hadn't had the relationship experience I had with an addict?

The film lives and breathes by the relationship between Bobby and Helen and it works beautifully, even though, it's very upsetting. They get away with so much. They survive when they shouldn't. And even their relationship survives, which is probably the most upset aspect of the film for me, because of the 5-year relationship that my ex had with her own ex (prior to me). She admitted to me that she stayed with him for the excitement he brought to her life, because their relationship was volatile almost from the beginning and had really died after about 2 years. So, why the hell would you stay with someone? I don't understand. I don't think I every will. But, I still thought the movie was a great story. I sort of hated both characters and I didn't feel sorry for them. I'm not sure if I was supposed to or not.

..........................................................................
Film 151
"Dakota Skye"
starring: April Eileen Boylan

When I watched this disappointment all I could think of was that '90s Nick show called "The Secret World of Alex Mack." You remember that one? This is like a 90 minute version of that show. The gimmick here is that this 17 year old girl, named Dakota Skye (played by Boylan), has a superpower: the ability to see through everyone's lies (the truth pops up on the screen as a sort-of subtitle for us). It's a really ridiculous plot to deal with for about 90 minutes. Oh, also, she's 17 years old and is a bit of a tramp. She seems to only care about spending time with, making out with, and sleeping with her rocker, tough-around-the-edges boyfriend (who is also quite a liar). That is until she meets one of his friends, who comes home from driving across the country. He's attractive and she falls for him, but mostly because he seems to tell the truth every time they talk. Hmm, girls are that simple?! Just don't lie to them?! Where have these girls been my entire life? Oh wait, I end up meeting them after they've been treated terribly!

As a character, Dakota is a very unrelatable person. I found the narration very tiring, which also reminded me of the Nick show.

For a movie that thrives on the superpower premise, there is no actual crime fighting. It is solely a film about a girl and her relationships. This is a low-budget film that fails on most levels. It works when it is about the girl trying to find herself, at the appropriate age that happens. Maybe it's because I couldn't relate to the female character. I've always loved coming-of-age stories when there lead character is a guy, but maybe it's because those films seem to be speaking directly to me.

This one lost me rather quickly, even though it has its moments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)