Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy (Films 109. 110. 111.) And Some Reflection

I haven't written in a few days, because like I stated before (probably a couple of times now, actually) I did not want this project to overtake my life, so to speak. Yes, watching 365 films in one year can be overwhelming, but I knew I wanted to still experience life. And life has been great lately.

Friday night, last week, I got to celebrate my cousin Josh's return back to not only the states, but back to Maine. He and his amazing girlfriend, Molly spent about 9 months traveling. First, they drove across the country in their car/van. From Maine to California. They stayed with friends along the way, but they also made a point to stay on co-op farms, where they worked on the farm in exchange for room and board, as well as food. I spoke with Molly during their welcome back party, and she said it was quite a learning experience for both of them, but also extremely rewarding. Then, after traveling across the country then flew to New Zealand and stayed/worked on farms for 4 months. Same rewarding experience. They hitchhiked, met some amazing people. Then, they flew back and drove back across the country, from California to Maine. Now, they're looking to hopefully locate and find permanence in Portland, which would be great, because my cousin and I have always gotten along really well, and we had also made plans a lot and never really got many chances to hang out together. It's been a shame because we have so much in common. And now, I look up to him. He traveled to another country, something I've yet been able to do (but I'm dying to make it work).

I got to speak to Molly for a lengthy period of time, in the kitchen of her sister's new apartment, while the welcome home party raged on with lots of chatter and dancing and music. I asked her about how their relationship sustained throughout their traveling, especially being in a car together and really having no way to part from each other when the other got on their nerves. She told me that they really got to know each other very well through the entire trip and that their were times where they needed quiet space from each other, time to just be quietly alone with their thoughts, but that ultimately they were able to come back to each other and talk about the issues at hand when they arose. Now, this is a couple younger than I am, by at least 6-7 years, and they've been together for a few years already and have weathered a storm apparently, because before they left, for a few months prior to the trip, they spent some time "apart" (meaning they were not living together like they had been) and Molly felt stuck in a rut and knew she needed to get out of Maine and kind of "find herself" after doing a stint in AmeriCorps for a couple of years. So, she decided she needed to travel and she had told my cousin she was going to do it, with or without him. Thankfully, he decided to go with her. I say thankfully because I think he needed the trip as well. He seemed to learn about about himself and "find" himself as well. It would be an assumption to say that he needed some direction with his life, and actually it sounds rather terrible and judgmental, but it's true in a way. I think he felt stuck in Maine and in life, as well. I've always wanted good things for the people I care about and I hate seeing them in ruts.

I speak from experience. After my first year teaching, I felt awful about where I was and I needed to self-reflect and see if teaching was actually what I wanted to do with my life. I wasn't treated as I thought I should have been. Education seemed to be in the middle of the beginning of a downward spiral and I didn't know if I wanted to be a part of the apparent collapse. And I had always talked about taking a road trip. So, I got in my car after the last day of school and drove around the country (literally). I wanted to see every Major League Baseball park, so I set out on an adventure that sort of planned, but then a few days into it, I was having too much fun just experiencing everything and meeting all these amazing people, that I decided to just go with the flow of wherever the trip took me. I wanted it to truly be an adventure. I even Couch-Surfed with strangers, slept in my car, slept in a few hotels, got lost a couple of times, saw old friends and family. It was probably the single best, most inspiring experience of my life. I came back from my trip rejuvenated about who I was and what I wanted to do with my life. I knew I wanted to be in education. I knew I wanted to be a teacher. I'd found something I was good at. It's my natural talent.

I did that road trip alone, ultimately, but the best times of the trip were shared with the strangers that I met along the way. They showed me things I probably would not have experienced. And I think we learned from each other. We left each other having grown from our time together. I always wonder what kind of impression I make on people, and what they think of me, after meeting me, because the people that I encounter have always stayed in my mind.

"Happiness is only real when shared."

And again, One spring break, I took the train down to Washington D.C. and spent a week walking around the city and going to all the free museums and art galleries. It was an amazing experience. But, much like Christopher McCandless learned "Happiness is only real when shared." I wished I could've had someone with me to share in all great sights that I saw. I plan on going back in the near future.

Then on Saturday, I went to my buddy Eric's birthday party/gathering. It was great to finally hang out together and the group really had fun. We had some drinks and played poker, but the real fun started when we gathered in the kitchen and played a rousing game of TABOO. It was probably one of the best times I've had hanging out with friends in recent memory. In fact, each time, I hang out with friends, we have so much fun together, which has led me to the conclusion that I've chosen/found some great people to be in my life. Part of it's me. Part of it's them. Part of it's chemistry we all have together. Either way, the mantra I heard in the book and movie "Into the Wild" keeps coming back and staying relevant, especially at this point in my life: "Happiness is only real when shared."

Had my typical, routine breakfast date with my dear friend Vanessa on Sunday morning as well, then went to a hockey game with my father.

All in all the past 4-5 days have been amazing. Great way to spend the final vacation of my school year (before summer vacation).

Still waiting to find out about my medical mystery conditions, but I should know more in the coming weeks. That'll be a load off!
............................................................................
"Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl" and "Dead Man's Chest" and "At World's End"
Directed by: Gore Verbinski
Starring: Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley, Orlando Bloom (and a slew of others throughout the trilogy)

I wanted to lump all 3 movies together into one review because the trilogy works as one continuous story. One continuous story that is far, far, far too long. Each movie clocks in at 2:15, 2:34, and 2:48 (consecutively). Each story longer than its predecessor. Each story could've been told in a much shorter time span, too. The only thing that really saves all movies is Johnny Depp's commitment to the role of Jack Sparrow. He truly is Jack Sparrow and he brings him to life. Geoffrey Rush is also quite remarkable as the dreaded antagonist Captain Barbossa (the arch-enemy of Sparrow). Keira Knightley plays a fantastically strong female lead character with Elizabeth Swann (whom we see grow throughout the series into an eventual "King of the Pirates"). Orlando Bloom is stellar, perhaps because he is playing alongside Depp, as Will Turner (a blacksmith who goes on a self-discovery journey and finds out he has pirate in his blood). There is of course the obligatory love story between Elizabeth and Will, which takes its roots in line with "Romeo and Juliet" but is still endearing and you ultimately want to see them together in the end. They only kiss in the third film, I believe, from my recollection (the film in which they finally get married, thanks to Captain Barbossa's officiating).

Let's start at the beginning, though. And remember this is a film franchise that was built around a Disney-theme park ride. The fact that they came up with enough material to make an entertaining series out of still kind of amazes me.

"The Curse of the Black Pearl"

The introduction to the story follows this plotline, see if you can keep up:
Jack Sparrow is driven by his extreme hatred for Captain Barbossa because he led a mutiny on Sparrow's pirate ship, the Black Pearl, which left Sparrow stranded on a desert island (which he survived on for 3 days, in a drunken haze thanks to rum barrels marooned there as well, before he was picked up by another passing ship which took him aboard and one can only assume he led his own pirating mutiny to take over control of that ship which got him to land). Barbossa and the Black Pearl crew went looking for ancient treasure and thus ended by cursed and becoming "the Undead." They cannot be killed, even though they look like everyday, dissolute, homeless pirate beings during the day- under the moon they are spooky (well done tech department) skeletons. There is a battle between the British Royal Navy (in search of both the pirates, to bring them to justice, and the treasure, as well) and the Black Pearl crew. In fact, there are lots and lots of swordfighting and battle scenes that would find themselves fitting better in a Michael Bay production than here, because there is actually a decent amount of material in the entire pirate folklore to drive a decent story/movie (but it would have definitely made the film shorter). Many of the fight scenes are extravagant, but overdone. You get the point after a couple. Pirates will be pirates. They will always do their fair share of swashbuckling and sword-clashing. I think the story got lost among the extravagance. At its core, the plot is somewhat foolish, but the actors really dove into their roles, which makes you really want to see them make it through.

Johnny Depp certainly channeled some great, fantastic inspiration for his character portrayal of Jack Sparrow. He is all parts Keith Richards-drag queen-pirate-comedian. The way he walks, the way he flicks and holds his wrists, the way he slurs his words/speech throughout the film is something to be admired and studied among the incoming student actors. He could've played his pirate straight, but instead he decided to go rather extreme and it works. Almost too well. I think Depp knew enough to not take such a ridiculous role too seriously. That would have been an injustice. And it wouldn't have been nearly half as entertaining.

The heroine is Elizabeth Swann, playing rather subdued by Keira Knightley, but just to hear her speak with the curves of her lips somewhat curled inward, giving her a smirk that I would truly die to be the recipient of, makes her presence in the film with it. Swann is supposed to be married off to the leading Commander of the Royal Navy, Norrington, but she has loved Will Turner her entire life (although she's never made it known to anyone, least of all Will, himself- much like Princess Buttercup in "The Princess Bride"). Swann gets kidnapped by Barbossa and is aboard the Black Pearl because it is thought that her blood will release the pirates from their curse. Spoiler alert: It doesn't!

The film rides on its jokes and extravagance for far too much of the film, but Depp's portrayal of Jack Sparrow is well-worth sitting through the film, even though it probably could have been done in about 90 minutes or so.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Dead Man's Chest"

With the continuation of the story here, we begin with Jack Sparrow a seemingly king among a tribe of cannibals who've captured Will Turner (who's been looking for Sparrow because his love, Swann, has been arrested for piracy and only Sparrow can help get her out). The story has added quite a bit (most unnecessarily to drive the story further along, but still done with ease that it seems to make sense while you are watching it). The East India Trading Company is the political and commercial equivalent of an analogy for how bad corporatism is for the world. Perhaps its because the head of the company is a single-minded fellow. Jack Sparrow has a "magical" compass that the Company wants, in order to find some more treasure. Treasure! Argh!

With Captain Barbossa seemingly disappeared from the story, the writer's decided to add a new element of villain, this time in the form of a heavily CGI-ed Davy Jones (complete with free-flowing tentacles and a lobster claw). Davy Jones is the captain of the Flying Dutchman, another cursed pirate ship, with crustacean looking creatures/pirate men serving out an entirety of curses. Davy Jones has been cursed by his former lover in the sense that he must sail the waters for 10 years, unable to touch land, saving other pirates. He has cut out his heart, in the promise of reuniting with his long-lost lover (who happens to be Calypso, a nasty woman of the sea if there ever was one), and placed it in the "Dead Man's Chest." Whoever has the chest has control of Davy Jones (seemingly an important plot point because the head of the Trading Company wants the chest (treasure). He wants Davy Jones to do his biding for him.

Because sequels need to up the ante and be more spectacular, director Verbinski decided to add in the lore of the Kraken (otherwise keep at by in the film "Clash of the Titans"). There is of course another blow-out battle with the Royal Navy, which gets rudely interrupted by the Kraken, which decimates the Black Pearl ship. In the end, Jack Sparrow plays the martyr and sacrifice himself as he goes down with his ship, the Black Pearl. The Kraken eats him and takes him and ship down to Davy Jones' Locker (a sea term for the bottom of the ocean, a sort of purgatory for the dead at sea).

At the end of the film, the crew, including Swann and Turner are saddened by the loss of Sparrow and they want to go and find him and bring him back, which leads the film into the third film of the series and we see the return of Captain Barbossa at the end of "Dead Man's Chest" because he is clearly the only man/pirate for the job.

Again this film is far, far too long and the story could've been told in a much briefer amount of time. It's presentation is certainly eye-catching, but the plot and writing is severely lacking. A disappointment.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"At World's End"

Here's a "Conclusion" to the story that I don't even think is worth writing. It drags out the story even further, at close to a painful 3 hours. We see Jack Sparrow in Pirate limbo, stuck in Davy Jones Locker with several versions of himself, which could mean he is having a bit of a pirate existential crisis. Meanwhile, Captain Barbossa, Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner are in search of him and are willing to go into the Locker to "rescue" Sparrow in order to restore order to the world, in which the East India Trading Company is clearly trying to destroy. There's a backstory about the "pieces of eight" that really lost me and I'm convinced doesn't exactly make any sense, other than to get the community of pirates together, as well as put Jack Sparrow in the same room with his father (played convincingly by Keith Richards himself). Will Turner's pirate connection is put in the forefront, as his father is a crew member of the Flying Dutchman. At the end of the film, Will Turner ends up being the cursed captain of the ship and he is only allowed 1 day per year on land, which he will inevitably spend with the love of his life, Elizabeth Swann.

Ultimately not worth the 3 years it takes to watch.

If you have 3 hours to spare, I recommend watching paint dry...or better yet, any "Lord of the Rings" movie. Now, there's a trilogy I can get behind!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

All in all. I'm having a fantastic time living my life. And watching these films. Hits and Misses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)