Films 47, 48, 49, 50 (And vacation)

It's been since Valentine's Day since I last posted, which reminded me about last year's Valentine's Day and how much has changed (in my life and within me) in just over one year. I was with a girl last year on Valentine's Day whom I thought would complete the end of my searching for a "soul mate" and we quickly moved in together (by March) and things went downhill from there rather quickly, too. There were many red flags that I chose to ignore, least of which being even on Valentine's Day she had a way of turning the tables and making me feel like such a bad guy. Yes, I had designed and expected the night to go a certain way (because I can be somewhat of a planner) and when it started going "wrong" I got upset, but then the icing on the cake was how a casual conversation about her job quickly went south because of our differences of opinion (which seemed to happen quite a bit as I looked back on the 9 month relationship as a whole). We were just always on different pages, wanting other things.

Well, this Valentine's Day, I couldn't have felt better about myself or who I shared it with.

And so I ended my school week with a great group of kids who've really turned over a new leaf. And what better time than now, right before our February vacation. I feel great about where I've brought them, socially, individually, and academically. Their growth has been amazing to witness and I've been so proud of them.

Friday night, I visited my friend Vanessa and caught up on watching HBO's show "Girls," which is probably one of the best shows I've ever seen (in a long time, at least). Season Two has been sort of mindblowing as the characters seem like actual, real people now, going through real experiences and feeling real emotions. There's something to be said for the amazing writing going on with Lena Dunham. It was funny to me the first time I heard Vanessa say "I feel like this show is my life. I feel like the characters are my friends and I'm going through these experiences, too." But, now I get it. Aside from having a major crush on Marnie (Allison Williams), I want the best for these four girls. I want them to figure things out.
Before stopping by Vanessa's for the night, though, I was extremely hungry and since I was back in my hometown of Lewiston, I thought of nothing better than going to Sam's Italian Shop. If you're one of the unfortunate souls who are not familiar with this restaurant, let me tell you, it's kind of historical (as far as Lewiston's history...and my own). It brings back memories of some of the best times I've had with my best friend Sean. It is inevitable that we always go there, at least once, when he comes back home.
Our order: Ham Italian and a Cheese Pizza
Then, we always stay up, watching movies, sports, playing board games, or simply just having some of the best conversations I could ever imagine having with someone. It was during one of those conversations that I got the idea for my left arm's sleeve tattoo. The conversations focused on "an artistic representation of love, if you could put it into a picture, what would it look like." I've had some of the best times of my life with Sean. He is a guy I respect and admire. We've known each other since 3rd grade (a difficult time in my life apparently, because I used to cry every day while at school- a story he recollected to me this past summer as I was learning more about myself and we were sharing stories). And although we've known each other that long, we only became really good friends our Senior year of high school, another very difficult time in my life, as my parents had divorced and my mother had moved away to North Carolina. We hung out, usually at my house watching those Pay Per View Wrestling monthly specials and eating Starbursts and pizza. We would also study together, occasionally. Then, he went away to St. Louis University for college. We stayed in touch through emails and such, then he came back for summer vacation and that was the pivotal summer in our friendship. We both had many stories to tell and we hung out together almost every day. We've been through a lot together, had many time and much distance between our friendship, but it has definitely withstood those tests. His is a friendship that I am proud to say become more of a brotherhood. There is nothing I wouldn't do for the guy and I know the feeling is mutual. He's also been through quite an adulthood. I won't share his stories here, but I will say this, the Army talks about the brotherhood you can develop by enlisting, living, and working with other guys; but I say nothing builds a brotherhood like a lifetime knowing each other, being there for each other through the good and bad times.

So, it's safe to say, whenever I hit up Sam's Italian shop in Lewiston...I always think of Sean.

Saturday I went to Bull Moose for an incredible, intimate acoustic set from one of the best Portland musicians back on her home turf. Lady Lamb the Beekeeper aka Aly Spaltro. This is a 23 year old girl who became quite well-known in the Portland music scene about 5 years ago. I became familiar with her about 3 years ago. I was at Port City Music Hall to see Dr. Dog and Lady Lamb opened the night. I was quickly enthralled by her unbelievably strong and full voice as well as the many music talents she apparently possessed. It is her voice though that is quite enrapturing. And to think it is coming out of a girl who stands just about 5 feet tall. I've seen her live about 6 times since that night at Port City Music Hall. She's moved to New York to pursue her musical career. This weekend she came back for this acoustic show because she is finally releasing a legitimate album. Do yourself a favor and buy her album. It is incredible. When she begins belting out the words to "Up in the Rafters" I shiver.

Sunday, I had breakfast with Vanessa, which I'm glad has been a staple in our lives/friendship over the past 6-7 years. Hers is another friendship I cannot imagine living without.
Then I hit up a Pirates' game with my dad. The Portland Pirates are celebrating their 20th anniversary this season and it seems crazy to me, because I remember going to see them with my dad in their inaugural season, way back in 1993! I was 11 years old back then! Seems ridiculous.

Finally, I capped off the evening going to see Jeff Mangum (Neutral Milk Hotel) at the State Theatre. This is a show I'd been looking forward to seeing for at least 15 years. You see, the thing is Jeff Mangum used to front the band Neutral Milk Hotel, which put out two incredible albums in the 90s (On Avery Island and In an Aeroplane Over the Sea, 1994 and 1998, respectively). Then, Mangum became disheartened with the music industry and "gave it up." He became sort of a recluse (and Sunday night's show proved it even more since he came out looking the part with an incredibly full beard). The J.D. Salinger of the indie music scene. I was in awe the entire night. He was personable his entire set, quipping with the audience. It was a solo show, but he played all NMH songs acoustically. It was an ethereal experience, to say the least. I only wish my sister could've shared the experience with me.
And I'd like to thank my sister, Jen, for introducing me to NMH back in the mid-90s. She was the music director at WRBC (Bates College radio station) and always got her hands on incredible, indie music first. I also got a radio show, thanks to her.
...............................................................

On to the movies I've seen. I've watched a few throwaway movies the past few days. 3 out of 4 were on purpose, but the first one I really held potential for. It turned out to be a slight disappointment, though.

"The Secret Lives of Dentists" starring Campbell Scott and Hope Davis, with Denis Leary. This film had good potential. It begins with Campbell Scott's character assuming he is catching his wife in the arms of another man backstage at her local theatre before her performance in an opera. Their marriage is on the rocks to begin with and it seems like it has been for awhile. They are both dentists, sharing a practice together, but they don't seem to connect or communicate anymore (unless it is about work or one of their three daughters). Communication is the key ingredient to any relationship working. Even I know that, now, after a few failed relationships of my own. But, instead of communicating with his wife and asking just exactly what he was seeing backstage that night, he begins a bizarre fantasy where his most difficult patient (played by Denis Leary) becomes his conscience. Only Campbell Scott's character can see and hear him, though. The film seemed irrelevant to me, since its entirety focuses on his inability to communicate with his wife. To me, the entire film could have been avoided if they'd just been honest and open with each other from the beginning of the film. Now, I know a lot of films have been made with this premise in mind, but they've been done well. Much better than this one.

"Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight" (starring William Sadler and Jada Pinkett and Billy Zane)
Not much needs to be said about this film, other than it was made with pre-pubescent boys in mind, but unfortunately, being Rated R, the key demographic cannot watch it. I appreciated its campy and cheesiness. The demons are born from the ground and then sport long 80s metal hair and nipple rings on their non-existent flesh. It's just ridiculous. In fact, the demons look like they belong better on the cover of an Iron Maiden album.

"Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood" (starring Angie Everhart, Corey Feldman (yup, that's right) and Dennis Miller).
Along the same vain as its predecessor, meant for adolescent boys, filled with gore and lots of bare breasts. I meant have appreciated it when I was thirteen, but nowadays, it just doesn't thrill me like it would've back then, perhaps because it would've been taboo and forbidden.

"Piranha" (starring Elizabeth Shue (really? where the hell has she been? and she chose this movie?) and Jerry O'Connell). Oh, and Adam Scott (what the hell were you thinking) from "Parks and Rec" fame.
Spring Break has never been more of a nightmare with pre-historic piranhas infesting Lake Victoria. Another adolescent boy's wet dream/fantasy. Lots of naked breasts and blood and guts. A ridiculous storyline not worth repeating. But, if you want some ridiculous fun, spend the 90 minutes watching it. Don't say I didn't warn you though. Best line, thanks to Jerry O'Connell: "They took my penis!"

My vacation has been off to a great start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)