A couple of Documentaries

I love my job!

I think very few people can say that. And. Mean it.

I wholeheartedly love everything about my job. As I stated before, there are many ups and downs, throughout the day, throughout the week, throughout the month, and yes, of course, throughout the year. I can remember two summers back, I applied for teaching jobs in Old Orchard Beach/Saco. I didn't get a call for an interview until close to the end of the summer. And it was not an ordinary interview, which I believe I'd gotten very familiar with (the entire process) after going on at least 30 over the past 3 years. (I know I should count myself lucky for just getting my foot in the very, very competitive door of education, especially in this day and age, with the economy in the tank and education budget cuts seemingly the first thing to get slashed.) I've learned how to market myself, while never losing the sense of who I am, personality-wise as well as my professional beliefs (never sugar-coating things for anyone, never lying, but knowing what was an acceptable and expected answer to certain interview questions...I had both parents as educators to rely heavily on when preparing for interviews). So, when I got the phone call from Old Orchard Beach saying,

"We've been given the okay to hire for a new position in kindergarten, but we don't want it to be a regular interview. We want to give you time to sell yourself to us. You will have 30 minutes to tell us about you and why we should hire you."

I have to admit, I was slightly intimidated, but let's be honest, I've also become somewhat of a professional at selling myself to people, mostly through my humor (settling for self-deprecation most times). My sense of intimidation was eased as I thought about the best way to sell myself and to make myself memorable. I knew most everyone would probably present their Teaching Portfolio and hit on certain belief statements. That was standard operating procedure. Then, it hit me.

I created a Top 11 (because if you know me, you also know that I cannot just settle for 10 reasons) why they should hire me. I presented it in typical David Letterman late-night fashion, we all laughed in the somewhat cramped conference room. And I was called back for a second interview and hired on the spot after that. And my Top 11 became Old Orchard Beach legend (much as I hope I to become as well, not just in Old Orchard, but everywhere I go). Let's face it, I want to be legendary, not just in my head. I want to be remembered by all, everywhere I go. I want to leave my mark. And I usually attempt this by being funny (after a few quiet moments of getting to know my crowd). Everyone loves self-deprecating humor, as I learned in high school. Whether it was making fun of my mother before anyone else could, or physical comedy (I met the bottom of a few trash cans in my day, and raced through the hallways of school after running my mouth at a quicker speed, almost). I enjoy the attention. People enjoy laughing and so I've noticed they tend to enable me once I get going. It's almost as if I create this caricature of myself amongst certain people. In high school I was the loner. Through college, I was the relationship-starved guy who wanted so badly to be with a large variety of girls. "Is she breathing? Is she attractive? Sean wants her." (Ha ha) And now, at Old Orchard, amongst my peers and colleagues, I seem to be the perpetually-doomed boy-man. Disaster seems to follow me as I leave a trail of self-deprecation where I go, all the while playing to the crowd that's gotten to know me through the past two years (I'm an open book, perhaps more than some people want), using my charm to my advantage. The thing is, I can still remain absolutely genuine with my intent, which leaves me lovable and adored (I think, I hope). Hell, I even threw this quip out the other day, when asked at lunch how I've survived for so long with so little (referring to lunch)... "I've survived on my good looks for years." Queue laughter.

All that being said. I watched Conan O'Brien's documentary "Can't Stop" which followed the late-night comedian as he embarked on a 32-city tour after being unjustly ousted from his television gig as the host of the "Tonight Show" a few years back. It is an endearing portrait of an artist of self-deprecation as his new life's path is put into perspective. He opens up behind the scenes of exactly how he felt being mistreated by the powers-that-be at NBC. The film starts with Conan and his team of writers birthing this insane idea of taking his bitterness and comedy on the road. With him is his faithful assistant, Sona, who is shown to be quite human in a role of servitude. It helps that Conan seems to almost treat her as an equal, as a part of his family and/or true confidants. You can tell that he appreciates her, perhaps because of his newly acquired perspective on life and his career (starting over from the bottom can be a humbling experience, believe me, I know). I'd like to think he's always been that way, though.

I can remember staying up in high school and beyond to watch "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" or even taping it when he was on at 12:30 in the morning. I've always loved him and his style of humor. I remember taping his interview with Sarah Michelle Gellar around the time of "Cruel Intentions" and watching it over and over again. That might've had more to do with my undying love for her than appreciation for Conan. Either way, I followed his television career through and through; although I will admit to not watching the "Tonight Show" as devotedly. When he got the ax from that gig, I felt his pain. I knew he wasn't given a fair shot at it. I knew there was more to the story. And I've been happy with his return to television and rare form (seemingly never really missing a beat) on TBS (although, I don't have cable so I can't watch his show as much as I would if he were still on NBC).

I really enjoyed the behind-the-scenes look at the revitalization of Conan O'Brien's career with this documentary and I think it had just the right amount of closeness and live performance (because I wasn't interested in just seeing his touring act). I wanted to get to know the man behind the laughs. And I think the film was executed fairly. We even get introduced to his wife and kids (briefly).

Last weekend I watched another documentary, titled "Mine" which focused on the animals (dogs) that were left behind in Hurricane Katrina. As to be expected, the film was rather depressing. It was decent, as it focused on the attempt of three specific owners of dogs that had be displaced from New Orleans after Hurrican Katrina as they tried to acquire their pets from the foster families that had taken in these "abandoned" pets. It seemed to be a class/racial issue almost, in my opinion. But then, also, there were a couple of other owners portrayed, perhaps for the contrast, that seemed to feel utterly entitled to the "property that was mine" (I'm thinking that's where the title came from). The three main characters that were followed had a completely different perspective on their pets as a part of their lives/a part of their families and you wanted them to have their family member returned to them because you could tell they genuinely cared for this animal and if given a choice they would've stayed and died in New Orleans with their companion by their side.

This film struck me because I have a cat, Artex, whom I've had for more than 8 years now. He's like my own child. I love him dearly. I can't imagine coming home and not being greeted by him, and getting the feeling that he missed me all day. Although he's an animal, I can tell that he is completely capable of emotions and he certainly has his own personality. I would never even dream of mistreating him. I feel bad when I leave him alone for an overnight trip somewhere. I adore the little dude and if I lost him in a tragedy like Hurricane Katrina, I would be lost without him. He's become a part of my life that I could never replace or erase. Pets become a part of us, who we are. They are not simply defined as "Ours" "Yours" or "Mine."

Watch this film but be ready to think of your own pet(s).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)