Early Morning Poems

The Last Lullaby, Hidden in a Loud Crescendo

Trips to the bathroom and glasses of water
Opening windows to catch the cool breeze of her shadow
As it passes over me across the wall
She plays over my body and takes control

Sweating palms, she comes at me with the calm of night
Singing psalms I say, God bless you girl, for the stillness you bring
You are the girl I want to get lost in
To find my way back from the honey trail you left
When you got so excited by my touch
And I will promise to come back
As the mole on your thigh

Retracing the steps that got me here
In your wide open bed
Between legs that never end
Must have taken a wrong turn somewhere
Because love cannot be like this
Where I’m left to dream you up
Because no girl could ever compete

Could it be your cute girl smile, as you show your teeth
Or your perfect body, lay down next to me please
Or how you dare to speak, so easy, wait, just breathe
Or could it be the tickle of your touch, slow down
I guess it’s probably just my heart
That is to blame, so easily won over am I

Questions lead to answers
But won’t you come,
Though I know you won’t,
It won’t hurt to ask
And bring a flower in your hand, poisonous
Maybe you’ll just be late, I can wait
And you make up for your tardiness with each new maneuver
Each position is like a disease
And I breathe you in, ready to be contagious
I take flight
But you stole my only pair of wings
I’ll pretend I didn’t notice
They don’t work anymore, anyway
________________________________________________________________________

The Highest Mark is Your “A” for Effort

When I put the gun to my chest
Two inches from the heart
And cocked the trigger

You took advantage of the opportunity
To stab me in the back
Almost as if on cue
You twist the knife, to puncture what’s left
I collapse and look for your arms
But you stand far enough away to watch
So that I am left to wonder
How greatest ally became my worst enemy

Loving you was the first mistake
In a laundry list of problems
But I won’t fall for that deceiving smile, again

You are a hired hand
And I am such a tired man
Hell, I’d grant permission
If it wasn’t so hard to find your replacement

So, just do this last job
Just do me in
And you can leave knowing

I let you kill me
So I didn’t have to put myself through such a game
Because it’s a lot easier to blame
That which cannot be the reason
Only, if your lies are true
Then a relationship the reeks of failure
Stems from your infidelity

And you find honor in killing what’s left of me
As you walk from the shadows of a dark alley
And into the spill of light reflecting off tall buildings
I can tell how long you’ve been waiting
Until I just wasn’t strong enough to continue
From the look in your eyes
You unsheathed the knife
And had a party

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)