A Couple of Poems

The Lines Lying Lovers Say as They Lay Beside Each Other

Why do I give my time
To those who don’t care
If I live or if I die

Why do I speak so highly
Of those who I’d rather
Give a blackened eye

It’s not that I want to do harm
It’s just that this act of charm
Has gotten me nowhere

It’s time to play pretend
You act as if you want me
I’ll act as if it matters to me
We’ll both decorate the stage
And recite the words on each page

Lines like: I can’t wait to see you
And: With you I can paint the sky blue

How much of what you’ve said is a lie
All of it or just 87%
When I give you 100% of myself
And laid it all on the line
For just a couple hours of your time
Is that so much to ask
The truth
The truth is you should lie with me
We both know the truth is that you should lie to me

I am a true artist of bullshit
So I can smell it miles away
And baby, you’ve got nothing new to say
I’ve memorized your lines
Let’s make a pact
To never over-act
Can you handle that
_________________________________________________________________


The Last Lullaby, Hidden in a Loud Crescendo

Trips to the bathroom and glasses of water
Opening windows to catch the cool breeze of her shadow
As it passes over me across the wall
She plays over my body and takes control

Sweating palms, she comes at me with the calm of night
Singing psalms I say, God bless you girl, for the stillness you bring
You are the girl I want to get lost in
To find my way back from the honey trail you left
When you got so excited by my touch
And I will promise to come back
As the mole on your thigh

Retracing the steps that got me here
In your wide open bed
Between legs that never end
Must have taken a wrong turn somewhere
Because love cannot be like this
Where I’m left to dream you up
Because no girl could ever compete

Could it be your cute girl smile, as you show your teeth
Or your perfect body, lay down next to me please
Or how you dare to speak, so easy, wait, just breathe
Or could it be the tickle of your touch, slow down
I guess it’s probably just my heart
That is to blame, so easily won over am I

Questions lead to answers
But won’t you come,
Though I know you won’t,
It won’t hurt to ask
And bring a flower in your hand, poisonous
Maybe you’ll just be late, I can wait
And you make up for your tardiness with each new maneuver
Each position is like a disease
And I breathe you in, ready to be contagious
I take flight
But you stole my only pair of wings
I’ll pretend I didn’t notice
They don’t work anymore, anyway

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)