Poem inspired by Thursday

To the Tune of Understanding

The deafening screams
Set the tempo
For screeching tires
And worn out brakes

Unlocked doors and
Jimmied locks

Shattered windows and
A whirlpool of Firestone logos

Cracked rearview mirrors
Help us see, in many degrees
The damage done-
With so much left to do

Broken limbs and
Rainbow-colored contusions

Listen- To the hypnotic sound
Of the air vent as it whistles
Our last breaths- Breathe
Kiss your swollen cheeks,
Hit eject on the tape deck
I don’t want to hear a sound
As I hold you in my crippled arms

Blood-stained seats and
Dented dashboards-
This is my confessional

Roll the windows down
To hear the sound
Of the sirens screaming by

Emptied bottles-
Drown my sorrows,
As I whisper my last goodbye
That echoes in our splintered ears

Double yellow lines blur
With the confusion and
Those bruise-colored lips I used to kiss
As the radio plays our song, continuously

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)