One Last One

Blank Expressions

I wanted so badly
To love her madly
But she couldn’t let go of the disease
I am the cure to set her mind at ease
She refused treatment
For the cancer inside her
Decaying her immune system
When offered a blood transfusion
She’d rather wait and bleed
The infection is in her bloodstream

“I don’t want the sales rep knocking at my door”
“I don’t want you pacing the floor”

I can’t wait around to see you in a hospital
My bed offers more comfort
For a heart, soul, and body like yours

Time spent mistreating the disease
Claiming a prayer for change will do the trick
But we both know
That was just a comforting lie you told yourself
To mask the hurt and pain

“Each waking moment is a chance at epiphany”
“I find myself trapped in an illusion like a hall of mirrors”

Hospitals are unforgiving places
Where you go when you die
On the inside
When all hope is lost and gone
Or simply faded away
Lost in translation
From all that could have been

“Where do folks go when they die, if all evidence points to no heaven in the sky”
“My love for you could make a grown man weep or angels cry”

We had the potential
To make a great scientific discovery
Instead you chose to be another number
In a long line of traders (traitors) of the heart
A steady flat-line and beep on the computer screen
Slowly detaching the link I had to you
As your blood turned cold and back to blue
In the ICU
Now, I’m left to say goodbye
To my one chance
At something more than just a fleeting act of romance
Caught with a passing glance

“Why do moments of clarity strike me at the most inopportune times”
“Why must we hide under the disguise of pleasure set upon slow-release”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)