A Metaphor

This Is Only Going to Hurt for a Second

Where will you be
When the last of the bombs go off

We shall detonate our own
Set in the same time-signature as our favorite song
In the same rhythmic sound as the fast-paced beating of our bleeding hearts
Lying side by side

Incandescent lights cut out
We hold each other in pitch dark
I can feel your weighted breath on my cold cheek
Kiss me, one last time
For a keepsake
To the last night we spent together

We shall overcome this Armageddon
To see each other
In another life
In a place only martyrs can go
Background noise gets louder
The walls shake
I can feel you shiver
This is the act of aching hearts of young lovers
You know how I do

I thought this was supposed to last forever
Your dark eyes peek
Behind eyelashes
Here we are together, doomed,
But yet in love with forever

If our time was set to be the past
I wanted so badly
To be bad
Not sad or hung-over
Applying myself to the situation at hand
Better left as an empty shell of a man
Who knew no other warfare like this before

Time spent on our backs
Looking up at the lights of the stars
As far as they may be
Still able to see
Past our shoulders

I held my position on top
For better access
To the blueprints of your unguarded garden
Of secrets
To her victories of past endeavors
Only I can wonder
How one girl, so petite in stature,
Could be so clever
As to say “love is the answer”
When the bombs go off around her
Only she never meant it
Just her best-kept weapons (of choice)
Are the ones reserved for between the sheets action

She likes to prove men wrong
About her
About it all
When the war sounds are deafening

I wish for once I was a girl
If only to get behind enemy lines
I would fight for the other side
And I could finally find a cure
For the scratches she left on my back

Relieved, the night is young
The battle is won
She plants her flag in the soil
Surrounding my soul

I’ve nothing to show for such an overpriced war
Except a faith, lost, in an absent God
And sweat-stained sheets

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)