Me Poet. You Read.

Thoughts are Hard to Come by These Days

You think you know
But you have no idea
What it takes to be me

You think you know stress
You can’t even imagine
What I’ve gone through

This is a test
Don’t you wish you could see
How it is,
How you get inside of me

You think you know what love is
You don’t even know
Where to look
If it was right in front of you
Like I am right now
Here is my love
I’ll call you blind

All I want
Is to be next to you
But you stand so faraway
You won’t even listen
To the words that I say
All sincerity aside
Why do you treat me this way
I deserve better
Just tell me you love me
And that you’ll never stray
But you’re too faraway
_______________________________________________________


Those Summer Nights We Shivered Through Slowly Abandon You

It was cold the night we decided to sleep in
We hugged each other beneath the blankets
To keep warm, on through the endless night
Listening to the radio
We told each other secrets
Things that no one around us knew
And we somehow felt closer
By enlisting the help of numbers
And stories, some I just had to make up

The wind blew past your swollen cheeks
And through your hair
As it crept in through the cracked window
Sweat beading from our foreheads
Touching noses as we kissed
Eyes closed as we dove in for each other
The comfort of saliva changing battlegrounds

“You don’t ever have to worry about falling
Because
I’ll catch you
And
Fix you when you break down.”

Beneath the blanket, you gained courage
As your leg brushed mine
And your hand grazed my inner thigh
I moved just slightly
Caught by surprise
But loving every moment of your play
And I played with words, sheepishly,
As I contemplated just what you needed
To let me coax you down
But you proved already there

And all I could hear was the sound from your dress
As it slipped from your shoulders
It was so quiet in our new bedroom
You turned the volume down
Enough to hear me ask
“Are you sure you want this?”
And your radiant smile
Told me I didn’t even have to ask
And then your thighs screamed “Come here baby”
So I rushed to the scene
On purpose, I propose

Your flesh burns like a fire
But lacks the necessary color
A design so perfectly elegant
That it’s hard for me to take apart
The bed sheets that hide the damage
That we’ve done to our own self images
With ghost-written parts for another
We just pretend to be cold
To feel the warmth of a body
Not found in the corners of shaded bars
But it the rows of classrooms
I guess we don’t have to look so far

We had the best intentions
To act as distractions
But instead became the main attractions
In a post-modern tragedy
Of elasticity pulled too far

And you became the lantern that burned
Until I was lost enough to never need a light
Or was it that you faded out
Before the path was clear to me
Whatever the reason
We’ve seen a change of season
And it’s gone from cold to worse
In the span of several hours
Spent in the backseat of a car
That ran out of gas
Long before we’d made the decision

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)