I'm Back

Parenthetical References to Quintessential Footnotes in the Understanding of Literature Based on Fact as Told Through Fiction

She said,
“I just want to be loved”
But I knew
She just wanted to be written about
To have words immortalize her essence
To tell she had a presence
Once, in my life

Her tranquility was as dangerous as her vitality
Yet, here I am
Putting pen to paper
Forming words from letters
That I wished I’d never written
And the words turn to sentences
To fill a void
She left when she left
Me
With a crack in the armor
Used to protect my heart
From girls
The likes of her
The world over

Now I know what it’s like
To be the victim of her bed
And the false bravado of her manners
When we had laid beside each other

I can’t get her delicate features
Out of my head
Such a ravenous creature
I can still feel the contortion of her muscles
As she jockeyed for the right position
With a hint of sweat glistening off her chest
When we were skin to skin
And she let me in
Her eyes lit up from the delicacy of our sin

Now I only want to get the memory of her
Erased
From my mind, and replaced
With better images in the back of my eyelids
When I close them to sleep
I cannot help, but weep
With the faux sincerity she let me keep
Only as a minor distraction
I was a pawn in her need for company
As she bit my lower lip
And coaxed a ride out of me
Back home
So she could lie beside her true love
Waits

The clock strikes 12:03
She bolts from my warm mattress
Only half-dressed
Her hair a tussled mess
Like Cinderella
Afraid to miss the boat
Afraid to be seen in true light
And not the dim overhead carriage of the bar

If only she knew
How I felt
She could have stayed
But her phone rang
And from my arms she sprang
Leaving the ghost of a memory of such a good thing
Her line was well-though-out
And rolled from her lips so quick
Leaving me with no chance to respond
No last chance for a slow dance
We had our fun between the sheets
And she left, saying,
“Just remember me as I am tonight.”

I was left to clutch the bed sheets
Covering my shame
And the game
Of being needed
For something more
Little did I know her plan of
Use once and destroy
Like an atom bomb tested in a deserted field
The remnants of which are left
Discovered beneath years later through built up rubble

So he said,
“If only to kiss those weighted lips
One last time.”

Instead, I am left with the heavy burden
Of what she meant when she said,
“Goodbye”

What never was
What will never be
Weighing heavy on my mind

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)