Poem One

Untitled #1

Explosions in the sky
Like rockets
Only fireworks
To admire from a distance
As we hold
Each other close

Drowned out conversations
So we can only
Watch the lips move
And wonder
What happens when they stop
And what they look like pressed together
Softness against softness
Deep red against pink and parched

Well I lost my faith at night
In something deeper to contend with
Still I fight
To keep composure
Like an addict
Begs for winter

We make predictions for a new year
And resolutions we’ll never hold to
Because all is lost when we are near

The scenery lends itself
To a romance
That could only have place in the pages
Of the books we read
In high school
Except ours can’t be so tragic
Because
When you say you want it
It could only mean one thing

We spill champagne
On our brand new outfits
And what seemed so innocent
Becomes the reason for this night
In the truest sense of the word
You’ve become the last form
The last in many lines I’ve said
Recited before bed
You’re the image stuck in my head
The one I could never leave
Until I was dead
The one I could never fall for
But find that I have fallen hard for
But it won’t be for a long time
So let’s make this 4th of July
Last a lifetime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)