You Say Poem, I Say...Okay

"It Was Better with the Lights Off"

You are the poison in my bloodstream
The reason I can't shake this disease

You come at me with the slightest of ease
And strike with a thorn to my side

You are perched high on your throne
The pedestal I made for you, too small

You are quick to rush to judgment
Of me, your loyal subject on his knees

I'd call you a liar
If I had a mirror
And the backbone
To take the heat
But we both know
I'll cower at your feet
And crawl back to you
As the pain of your words
Seeps in through my pores
And cuts so deep
I couldn't keep
The sutures in place
Even if I was nursed
Back to health
Like a wounded deer
All the girls fawn over

It remains easier
To admire the statue of your stature
From a cool, safe distance
When, up close, your attacks
Are more personal in nature


So to maintain the strength I have left
I cover my ears
At the tone your voice provides
I cover my eyes
At the cold stare your look sends
And I brace myself
For the arsenal your tongue will unleash

I am yours
You are mine
At least
No matter what kind of beast
This love makes out of me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)