Written in Stone, Fragile as Bone

I’ve been warned about you
But I’d like to find out for myself
And get hurt on my own
Terms
Of endearment
Just how bad is this cancer
Inside my heart
Just how bad could this heart break be
I’ve gotten over better than you

Don’t you feel it now
The blood in my veins
Pumping
Don’t you hear it now
My love
Singing out your name

I’ve been thinking about what you said
Yesterday
And I’m sorry for how you feel
What can I say to change your mind
Promise me you’ll stay
Even just for the night
Until I cannot bear the pain
Any longer
I’m forced to confess
I will be broken
For you
I will wait
Forever
For you
My love will be clever
For you
I’ll be nothing if it means that much
To you
I won’t change a thing
For you
______________________________________________________________


When the Truth Comes Out

When she called me just the other day
It was a conversation, diluted, just like all the others
But there was something in her voice
It was a whisper
Like she didn’t want me to actually hear

And then she said,
“I shouldn’t be telling you this
But I can’t stop thinking about you
You’ve invaded my soul
You’ve crept into the crevices of my mind
Like I never thought you could
And I wish it was you in this bed
Because I can’t get your face out of my head
Or the patch of skin I sneaked a peek at
When you showed off your new tattoo”

“God knows I try and fail and try and try again
But it’s no use
When it’s always the same result
You and me, a dream, alone in bed
And I’m holding you close to me
And you’re holding me from the waist
Pulling me in towards you”

“I can’t for the life of me figure out what this all means
That perhaps I’m still not over you
But I thought I was
I thought I was happy
To be miles and miles from where you couldn’t possibly hurt me
But I’m doubled over in pain
From being so far from you
When it could have been so different
This should have been enough distance between us
For you to never hurt me
Like you did the first two times before
And hell, I thought I couldn’t live in regret
But I won’t get another chance like this
Or even another first kiss
One that’s not so forced”

And she went silent, hoping for a good response like, “I’m coming.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)