Poem, Poem, Poem

"Rome Was Not Built in a Day, But You Were"

This tower was built for two
But the infrastructure is rotting
From a lack of proper maintenance

A warm gesture
In a heart-felt confession
Of better days
Spent locked away
In the tower's single room
Where flesh could be admired
And devoured

No sunlight peeks through
The shades are drawn
On the single window
In the single room
Where a mood is set
In preparation for
Solitary confinement
Together, Rapunzel and I
Oh, let down her hair

Readjustment of an attitude
Refinement
Refreshments
All better words left unsaid
Rapunzel
Lips mark my grave
Where my unforgiven soul will rest
Until the truth is told
How your body was sold
To the admirers of the flesh
Whose eyes cast shadows upon the crevices
Only I knew

I never cared for you
Rapunzel
I only said "I love you"
Enough to fuck you
And the truth is
I only really liked you
And the way you breathed
Underwater
And the way you looked
Down on me
From your ivory tower
The view
The whites of your eyes
So flattering
When you begged me for more
From your bruised knees
You, Rapunzel
So willing to please
Gone to bed with such ease

Now the ivory tower
Built in your honor
Cannot withstand the pressure
It takes to accommodate your false hopes
Dreams
Mostly your needs
So it crumbles
At my feet
Throw back your hair
Rapunzel
I will catch you
On your way down

We shall meet
We shall be set free
We shall meet at Ground Zero
And I shall be your hero
Since no torturer's steady hand
Could inflect more pain
Than the pain that's imbedded itself
In your own fucking head

It stands to reason
This being a metaphor of
The execution of all things
Considered to be
Related to you and me
Rapunzel

I, the pilot of this audience-tested
Radio-free program
Of what's to come and be
Sent over airwaves
In the middle of a war-infested air-raided
Country

Targets holding steady
Within full range and ample view
Tested hours of communication
Are these explicit directions
Keep my finger on the trigger
Ready to unleash the pain
Of ever knowing
The likes of bell-tower captive girls
Such as you
Rapunzel

You were a wolf in sheep's clothing
Having ignored my pleas
For peace and tranquility
You used me as a scapegoat
I am left to fed for myself
In the darkened forest
Which I mistook for only a landmass of trees
Homes for birds, bears and bees
Here I am
Rapunzel
Crawling, groveling on weighted knees

How could you
Rapunzel
Turn me into this
A weak boy
Who quivers at the feel of your touch
And the sound of your voice

How's the view now
My sweet
Rapunzel
From beneath the remnants
Of your ivory tower
As it seems to be
Only pieces
Trashed, tattered
Torn and scattered
Much like the pieces
Of you
I've found
Left inside of me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)