Poem About A Girl

"I Once Knew a Girl Named Laura, This Isn't About Her, Though"

Laura, when you came over
To spill the truth about me and you
I couldn't help but not believe
The rhyme to your reason
Because Laura, it's the ones with the broken hearts
Who've done all the loving
Laura, if you'd just take some time
You'd soon realize
I'm the one you've been searching for
I'm here for the long-haul
Laura, I don't want to be the boy
To break your heart, no more
Laura, I want to be the man you can always count on
So Laura, if you want to know the truth
Take my hand, exposed,
As a gesture of anticipation to participate
For it is in giving of ourselves
That we find a little piece of heaven

Laura, allow me this time
To wax philosophical
For just a moment of your time
Laura, did you know
That a rose is most beautiful
The moments before its wilting
Don't, please, Laura, ask yourself why
I would mention such tragedy
In an attempt to recount the best of our affair
Except to suggest
That our hallway conversation
Was your pre-emptive strike
Against the pre-mature death of what was
Between you and I
To never have to face
What will become of our love
Laura, you're a scared little bird
Perched on the edge of your nest
Looking out at such beautiful, great heights
Afraid to take flight
For fear that your wings have been clipped
Or worse, are still wet
Laura, I'm here to help guide you
I'll be your trained co-pilot
I'll be your personal Poet Laureate
And write you some words every morning you wake
The one to speak
When no words can pass your cheek
The one to touch
When your hands are stiff
The one to love
When your heart won't let me in
Laura, you'll see
I'll be the mattress
You lay upon to sleep
Or more appropriately,
I'll be the pillow
To rest your head
So darling, Laura, rest your head on me

Laura, do you feel the rain
Beating heavy on our backs
Like a drum
Pounding out a rhythm with sticks

Laura, I know your history has a past
But I only see a future
Where I lean across the bed
To kiss your heavy eyelids
With sleep
As you slowly wake up
And we smile at each other
Say "Good morning"
And Laura, I can tell that you are happy
Just to be

Laura, I'd walk great lengths
To be by your side
And there's nowhere else I'd rather hide
Than with you, in my bed, as you clutch me from inside
For Laura, it's the ones
Who can't say "I love you"
Who end up all alone
In a twin-sized bed
Fit for a queen and her king
Yet only jesters apply

And you, Laura, are so closed off
You'll end up the loneliest member
Of the lonely hearts club
Even Sgt. Pepper will feel sympathy

How's it feel, Laura,
To meet your own status quo
A social outcast
To love, you are, Laura,
The snow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)