Poetry?

"Everybody Has There Something, I Only Have You"

I lay my body down
Each grain of sand
That blankets my skin
Is a memory of her
Like the lines on your face
Are momentos of the times
In your life when you were the happiest

Were they with me?
Did I make you smile?

If I had the choice
I'd rather be the etch
Of your pillow
To which you embrace
When you sleep
So that I may then
Leave my mark upon your body
And be with you
To never leave...you
Then we could make new memories
Of two souls met in one body

And I'd swim
The length of your warm body
To know there's safety in your arms
Safety upon release

But I won't ever let you go
Like the wrinkles in your skin
When you grow old
I grow cold- er-
Knowing it's without you
I'll die
As the mockingbird sings its song

A song of love
A song of loss
A song of you and me
A song of heartache and pain
A song of the cost
A song of the untethered chain
Meant to keep us together
Which has only been tearing us apart

Just when I'm on my way to you
You're there packing your things
And heading down to the beach
I'm scheduled to drown in
The ocean
While you watch
From a comfortable, safe distance
You always kept me at a comfortable, safe distance
But now that you're watching me leave
How's it look to you
From the ship-to-shore
To know I won't love you
Anymore

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)