I Bleed These Words On Repeat

"Did You Think This Was Over? Did You? Did? You?"

It's only 50 degrees
On this,
The night in October
In a small New England town
We called our home
Where a party of local,
Strangers all, mostly,
Congregated
To discuss
Love and life
And laugh at the prospects of
Being in their twenties
Such a time for happiness of living in the moment
While life works itself out around us
Decisions can be made
To determine your future
The thirties and forties, anyway
In the morning

But who cares enough to think
That far ahead
When the drink in your hand
Is half-empty
And those hipsters are all half-full of shit

We find each other
From across the room
With knowing glances
Of what's to come
And hints of casual dances
A brief encounter
Becomes a long-drawn conversation
Out on the back porch
Overlooking the bay
Where the exchange of mundane details
Who we are, what we do
Where we want to be
Will try to see the break of day
Suddenly all shifts to what we see
What we are witnessing
Standing together, hands grasping each other's
Grasping the railing
"Can we take a walk?"
You ask, I oblige
With my hand still entwined with yours

We find refuge from the party
Underneath an old willow tree
Whose branches droop
As if they've long lost hope
And can't hold themselves up anymore
We let the grass be our blanket
As you hint at what you want
All I want is you
And so it begins

With a simple kiss
Like two fish breaching the water
Parched for air
We layer ourselves
With the warmth of our bodies
The sounds of party
In the distance,
Dissonant
All we can hear is heart beats
And the sound of skin upon skin

We continue this carnivorous dance
For the good part of an half hour
The faint sound of thunder
And Arcade Fire plays us in
As if just on cue
In the background
As our soundtrack to Rebellion (Lies)
When our act of romance is over
We lay beside each other
Stare up into the cloudless, black sky
Stars scattered all across
Seem to hit our blinded eyes
And stretch for miles and miles and miles and miles
I take the time to name a constellation after you
You smile, touch my thigh, and sigh
Relief
You say, "Will I see you again
Or
Was this just a party favor?"
I smile, in return
Clutch your hand and squeeze it tight
Brush the hair away from your unguarded face
Breathe in your scent
One more time
And say, "sigh no more"

I want to fall asleep beside you
And wake up to your face
Your warm body
Your hands in mine
On my skin
After a night of endless, passionate sin
I can't get enough of you
Even if I have all of you
I still crave more
The morning after

You are so much more
Than just the lonely girl
Who crashed the party
To me
You are the captain
Of my ship
As it sets sail
Toward uncharted water
You're the only map I'll need
Leaving this sailor, girl
To discover
A new, healthy land
Of love, death, and reprieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)