Dear Prudence

"The Canary. The Woman. The Metaphor."

Oh, my little canary
Would you sing for me

Would you pray to me
On your knees
And make me your God, humbly

The one to whom
You speak all words to
Whose name shall remain unspoken

Oh, my little canary
Will you perch yourself
On the swing

Would you beg
For your next (last) meal
From your knees, sweetly

With that certain look in your eyes
That I just cannot deny
For I love the whites of your pretty blue eyes

Oh, my little canary
Will you stay in your cage

Would you fly away
If I opened the door
And come back in through the bathroom window

Or would you stay
Domesticated and afraid
Of what lies outside the door

Oh, my little canary
Would you speak
On command, if I asked, politely

Would you save your voice
For better parts during the week
Knowing only a handful of words, anyway

What would you do
If I set you free
Would you return to me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)