Poetry? I Think So

"The Devil Hides in the Details"

You are the poison in my bloodstream
The reason I can't seem to shake this disease
You come at me with the slightest of ease
And strike like a thorn in my side

As you sit perched so high up on your throne
So quick to rush to judgement
Of the loyal subject on his knees

I'd call you a liar
If I had a mirror
And the backbone to take the heat

But we both know
I'll just cower at your unforgiving feet
And crawl as you administer the pain of words
That cut so deep
To leave a gaping wound
A hole that's open up
No other girl will take the time or effort to suture

It remains easier to admire your stature
From a cold, safe distance
Up close, your attacks are more personal in nature
To maintain the strength I have left
I cover my ears at the harsh tone your voice provides
I cover my eyes at the cold stare your look sends
And I brace myself for the arsenal
Your tongue will unleash

I am yours, you are mine, at least
No matter what kind of love has made this beast

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Three Blockbusters- 2 Worth Seeing, 1 Total Disappointment

Best Albums of 2022