Poet Laureate

"Your Protector"

I want to get lost
Between the white space
Of your shadow and the pillow

The creases of the pages
You so delicately turn
Between the tips of your fingers

The identification of who you are
Found on the surface of
Your thumb's imprint

Pressed upon the ink
That drenches the map
Of the creases of skin
I long to be within

Held in a warm embrace
By arms so heavy
As if they regret ever moving

And legs so long, never-ending, and thin
Don't move, but a single inch
As if to extend an invitation

Just then, she says, "come on in"
I fight the urge to caress
Instead, I play the role of Your Protector

As she lies
Beside me, all in due time
A sweet melody plays

Everlasting words, on repeat
Over a chorus of trees
Swaying in the gentle summer's breeze

It seems so right
To lean in for a first kiss
But she acts surprised

Like I've waited too long
To be the one
Who sweeps her off her feet

And we play the roles assigned us
I am forever in debt
To be Your Protector

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Three Blockbusters- 2 Worth Seeing, 1 Total Disappointment

Best Albums of 2022