Poems Make Me Emo? Part Two

"You're Never Too Old For Advice"

I was once told
By a friend of my mother
That to believe in love
Was as foolish as
To believe in Santa Claus

I was only a child
In the years of my youth
When my wit was as sharp as my tooth
But I took what she said
To heart
And it tore all I believed apart

She was only thirty-one
Divorced
And the mother of an only son

He was a friend of mine
And I felt sorry
For the prison she'd kept him in
The inability to love another
For fear of rejection
Is a cage
No one should inhabit

I told my mother
In the years to come
What her friend had told me
When I was so impressionable and young
To my surprise
She didn't get upset
Angry or mad
She just took my hand
And very patiently said,

"To love is to live
Even if that lost is lost
You can know that your happiness in life
Was worth the cost"

And she kissed my cheeks

Now I see her beautiful soul
In the eyes of my baby
And I know
How right she was
That I'd give my own life
For my baby
And that is true love, to me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Three Blockbusters- 2 Worth Seeing, 1 Total Disappointment

Best Albums of 2022