Hiatus for Awhile, Poetically Speaking

Love's Year Zero

This tower was built for two
But the infrastructure is rotting
From a lack of care-giving or even a second-thought
A warm gesture in a heart-felt confession
To better days spent locked away
In the tower's single room, alone, together
No sunlight, to peek through
Sets the mood for solitary confinement

No torturer's steady hand
Could inflict more pain
Than what's in your head
Guilt-stricken and bed-ridden
An adjustment (or refinement) of attitude
Better left unsaid

Her lips mark the grave
Of my unforgiven soul

To tell the truth
"I never cared for you"
I only liked the way you breathed
Underwater
And looked down from your ivory tower
But the view of the whites of your eyes
Was so flattering
When you begged for me on your bruised knees
I just assumed you were willing to please
When pleasing caused confusion of mind over matter
What did it matter
If we were drowning in each other's misery

Now the ivory tower
Built to honor the likes of you
Cannot withstand the pressure
It takes to accomodate your lies
And faulty needs (of what you called love)

It begins to crumble
As a crowd gathers to watch the inevitable implosion
Like the Romans on the day the Coliseum gave way

I say,
Meet me at Ground Zero
And I'll be the new breed of hero

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Three Blockbusters- 2 Worth Seeing, 1 Total Disappointment

Best Albums of 2022