Another Poem.

"Ahead of the Curve"

Michelle, you won't see me tonight
I'll be on the other side of town
By the time you read this

You won't be able to read me, either
So, please, don't try
It's easier this way
Anyway,
No one to blame
No use pretending our love was some fictitious eternal flame
When I'm sure you won't remember my name

Michelle, we both got what we came here for
Who could ask for anything more
Let's be honest
This would never work
As anything more
Than what it was
A one-night stand (in the rain)

And if, if I could employ a marching band
You better know that I would
They'd play me out of the carnage
As the blinking 8s on your clock radio
Light my path to the front door

Oh Michelle, why didn't you get the door fixed
So that it doesn't creak
When I want to leave
...Is this the way out?

And Michelle, why couldn't you leave the keys in the door
Like you always used to do
It'd be easier that way
To come and go
As once-lovers do
...Are we lovers, dear Michelle?
...Or just casual, conveniences
Left to encounter one another?

I can't tell
From the way you look at me
When I'm telling you goodbye
And you act so surprised
Like you hoped this night would never end
But we both knew there was an expiration date
To this easy-come, easy-go relationship

Why is it that the ones who say
It will never hurt
And the first ones to cry
When we both know
We're too much alike
To ever last

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Three Blockbusters- 2 Worth Seeing, 1 Total Disappointment

Best Albums of 2022