Is There a Ghost in My House

I don't think I've gone out with as many different girls as I have since recently moving to Portland. It's been about a month and the tally's at 3. And hey that's a lot for me! I've been talking to quite a few, building what I call a foundation, I suppose, to see where each one could possibly lead. It's nice to see the differences and see the instant connection, perhaps, if not, they sometimes I lose interest pretty quickly. I have a short attention span I guess. I don't know what it is. Maybe I know exactly what I'm looking for and haven't found it yet. Or maybe I just have really, really high fucking standards. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Well, so I went out to Empire Thursday night with the aforementioned girl from my previous post- the one I met at a bar. We really hit it off, I think. We went to see the Fog Cutters, swing dancing band, of which my buddy Brian happens to play in.

This girl and I ended up hanging out in the bar downstairs for an hour or so, talking and drinking (her, alcohol and me, water, of course). And now, I have to mention how Empire's tables only have benches, no chairs that I could find, so this girl and I sat right next to each other- which made it hard for constant eye-contact, which I am a stickler for, but then again, it had another advantage-- we were next to each other, so physical contact was much easier. Occasionally during our conversation, I felt the faint brush of her arm, accidental or not, or she would touch my arm-- and now I'm not a wiz when it comes to the subtleties of flirting, but I do know that these are all good things. Messages received. We laughed. We talked. Things were going well.

A girl who happened to be a photography magor at MECA then came over and asked if we could pose for a series of a few photos for a project she was doing. Ever the need to be the center of attention, I said, Of course! It involved taking shots (I took a shot of water, in case you were wondering). We laughed. Good time, so far. And this isn't the kind of story that ends badly, so to speak. Just, rather, anti-climatic.

Because here's the thing. Although I can usually pick up on a few of the signs a girl throws my way, I am ever the shy-introverted dude I have always been when it comes to making a move on a girl. I fucking hate it with a passion, being the one to do it first.

So, we were standing outside her apartment, still chatting, and I know the moment has come where we "share" a moment of awkward "where is this going next?" thinking. I want to move in, but like an invisible force field I can't do it. I have a mental block of the fear of rejection, although I don't feel as though I will be at this moment. I always hesitate and in that moment of hesitation, all hope is lost.

I walk home, alone, distraught, dejected, unhappy with myself.

Hoping there's another chance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)