New School Year

Well, look, I'm already better than I was a year ago! Two consecutive posts.
It's hard living so simply, like I do.
Since I moved to Portland, I've decided to not buy Cable TV (what's the point, there's 600 channels and nothing ever on, plus I want to be more active and read more, too, the amount of books I have purchased over the years and not read yet is astounding). And I've got so many DVDs that fall into the same category, I just see TV as a waste. I've also gotten in the habit of listening to baseball games on the radio (yes, kids, like the old days). I plan on being extremely busy while in Portland, too. Time to meet new people and catch up with old friends.

The First Day of School. Something many people (well, teachers) dread or don't sleep over. And yet, I always find myself sleeping well. The nerves hit me on the drive to school, though. Once the kids show up, I'm on.
I've realized, yet again this year, that I try to pack in way too much and overwhelm myself and the students, probably. I tell myself to take it slow and talk about a lot of things, but that can also be rather overwhelming to everyone involved. So, this year, I start at a new school, with new people to impress, new kids to get to know. And meanwhile, I'm friggin' dying of heat, because I've also decided to wear long sleeves for awhile-- due to the sleeve tattoos I have that no one there knows about. Trying to be impressive, yet again! One of the other first grade teachers even mentioned my attire today.
"You know you can wear short sleeves and/or shorts to be more comfortable?" she said.
My reply. "It's a nice thought, but no I can't. Well, I'd rather not."
Hmmmm. She was confused. Let's not get into that just yet, I wanted to say.

Anyway, so my first graders this year- what an active, talkative group. I'm definitely going to have to keep them busy all year. Last year I had 11 girls and 6 boys. This year 10 boys and 6 girls. I'm already noticing the difference and the contrast of behavior. I tend to be more lax with boys, I've noticed, perhaps a bit of bias on my part, BUT not this year, I know that already.

I made it through the day, though. Decompressing and all, now.

1 down. 174 to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Great Films, and more to Pass the Time

Best Albums of 2022

Best Albums of 2020 (The Year that Almost Wasn't, if it Wasn't for Music Saving Us All)